Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

The rest of the time was spent trying to figure out what I'm doing... Oh, and reading any number of very interesting posts (and responses to posts) on our forum ROTF. So much entertainment here!
Sometimes I never quite make it through trying to "figure out what I'm doing" before I run out of time or I get "reassigned". Context switching is tough. Looks like some nice progress!

In my ongoing efforts to be identified as the most inefficient modeler on the SOS forum I'm pleased to announce that over the past week and a half I have made several hours of actual progress on my build.
You almost succeeded, but I must claim the honors; still fooling around, trying to establish on how to build a Fokker Spin, with almost nothing to show for.

Thank you again, dear friends, for the likes and nice posts.

As I continue to think through how much of the lower deck I will be building, I turned my attention to the hanging and lodging knees. For sure I will include these on the finished side. The jury is still out on the unfinished side.

As the lower deck is omitted from the kit, these knees needed to be fabricated from my very limited supply of boxwood. I created the necessary patterns and traced those to the sheet stock. I paid little attention to grain in the crafting of these rather small pieces.

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

It took me a while to figure out how to approach this aspect of the build. I ended up fitting the hanging knees first (these do not appear at every beam on the lower deck - no heavy guns here) and then the lodging knees. Only halfway done at this point (the previously fitted hanging knees are not shown here)...

IMG_0596.JPG

Please don't concern yourself with the precision of the fit to the hull - I will be installing a waterway on this side and that will cover some sins...

About the midship region there is a special situation where the lodging knees change direction relative to the beams. This means that there is a knee that sits to the aft of one beam, and a knee that fits forward of the neighboring beam. It took me a while to figure out how to make the necessary multilevel knee:

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

Some parts are easier than others!

Finally, here is a photo essay showing my solution to making 8-sided pump tubes:

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

The cool kids use a mill - but this only took me about an hour...

Thanks for the visit!

Last edited:
Witaj
Pawle kolana są zrobione bardzo dobrze a pomysł na robienie pomp świetny ,znowu się czegoś nauczyłem .Pozdrawiam Mirek

Thank you again, dear friends, for the likes and nice posts.

As I continue to think through how much of the lower deck I will be building, I turned my attention to the hanging and lodging knees. For sure I will include these on the finished side. The jury is still out on the unfinished side.

As the lower deck is omitted from the kit, these knees needed to be fabricated from my very limited supply of boxwood. I created the necessary patterns and traced those to the sheet stock. I paid little attention to grain in the crafting of these rather small pieces.

View attachment 438570

View attachment 438571

It took me a while to figure out how to approach this aspect of the build. I ended up fitting the hanging knees first (these do not appear at every beam on the lower deck - no heavy guns here) and then the lodging knees. Only halfway done at this point (the previously fitted hanging knees are not shown here)...

View attachment 438577

Please don't concern yourself with the precision of the fit to the hull - I will be installing a waterway on this side and that will cover some sins...

About the midship region there is a special situation where the lodging knees change direction relative to the beams. This means that there is a knee that sits to the aft of one beam, and a knee that fits forward of the neighboring beam. It took me a while to figure out how to make the necessary multilevel knee:

View attachment 438573

View attachment 438574

View attachment 438576

View attachment 438578

Some days are easier than others!

Finally, here is a photo essay showing my solution to making 8-sided pump tubes:

View attachment 438579

View attachment 438580

View attachment 438581

View attachment 438582

The cool kids use a mill - but this only took me about an hour...

Thanks for the visit!
Good morning Paul. While you are making so many knees maybe you could make me one for my right leg… ROTF mine “kneeds “ replacing. Seriously good work and clever manufacture of the water pump base. I also love waterways to hide my sins. Awesome crafting of all those knees. Cheers Grant

Hello Paul, very neat work.
You write that you want to add a waterway to cover up small sins. When I look at your pictures, it will be very tight to add a waterway, but of course it could be misleading, especially since I am not familiar with the plans and English shipbuilding. I am already looking forward to the result and your implementation.

IMG_1533.jpeg

Oh Wow!

View attachment 438587
This is INCREDIBLE work! First Place Metal
Thanks Heinrich! I built that piece about ten times in my head before I made one out of wood ROTF.

Witaj
Pawle kolana są zrobione bardzo dobrze a pomysł na robienie pomp świetny ,znowu się czegoś nauczyłem .Pozdrawiam Mirek
Thank you, Mirek!

It's looking really really good Paul. Be careful with the grain of your wood and the knees. For parts 12 and 13 I woud use the other direction.
Good catch Christian. I wasn't really paying that much attention to grain, but those longer pieces should be redone. One of the hanging knees has disappeared off my workbench so I'll just redo these at the same time. Where do pieces go when they disappear? I looked EVERYWHERE :mad:.

Good morning Paul. While you are making so many knees maybe you could make me one for my right leg… ROTF mine “kneeds “ replacing. Seriously good work and clever manufacture of the water pump base. I also love waterways to hide my sins. Awesome crafting of all those knees. Cheers Grant
Yes, I am also in the cue for a new knee... And thanks for your nice words, Grant!

Again a impressive update, very accurate and a lot of work.
Yup. A LOT of work as each of the knees is different. Not very efficient construction of this ship. Plus, each of the knees has to be 'let down' onto the deck clamp. I would have made that differently if I had the foresight to know I'd be installing knees on the starboard side of my model. Hindsight :rolleyes:.

Wow; very clean precise work.
Thanks, Herman.

I can imagine that the outcome of this knee has given you a lot of satisfaction. The knee looks great and sits neatly in place.
Regards, Peter
Actually, I AM rather happy with the outcome! Thanks for noticing ROTF.

Hello Paul, very neat work.
You write that you want to add a waterway to cover up small sins. When I look at your pictures, it will be very tight to add a waterway, but of course it could be misleading, especially since I am not familiar with the plans and English shipbuilding. I am already looking forward to the result and your implementation.

View attachment 438687
Keen eye Tobias! The beams are just sitting loose on this photo and the total deck construction is just so light that it needs to be pressed down along its length. BUT! For sure the waterway will need to be a custom piece. Hopefully I'll be able to hide any spacing issues...

Your pump pipe casing and offset knees are over the top Paul!
Thank you kindly, Daniel! Happy Easter! I'm off to work in a few minutes. He is risen!

OMG. This is a work of art, not a very well built piece of a model ship.

View attachment 438691
BTW can you please share your source for that gorgeous little hand plane.
I always need to buy things after reading your threads.
Thanks Paul.

Michael
You are very kind Michael. Veritas Tools makes a line of miniature planes and such. They are available here in the US through a company called Lee Valley. Not sure who distributes them down under.

Back