Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Hello Friends,

My thanks for the recent posts and likes - you're a fine bunch!

Work has progressed on the build-out of the forward platform. Unfortunately, I failed to take any pictures during the construction itself. Individual work sessions were often short and spread out over many days, so I guess it never seemed like time to take a picture... :confused:

Apart from the multiple floor heights, however, the bulkheads, walls, and doors were pretty much the same as the aft platform.

Here's a few finish images (once again, only the starboard side is being built):

View attachment 436350

View attachment 436352

View attachment 436351

View attachment 436353

View attachment 436354

And now here's a picture with the forward deck beams and carlings loosely positioned. The vertical posts are the riding bitt uprights (these needed to be roughed in at this point because they pass through the platform decking, are notched to the lower deck beam, and had to have their heels 'fitted').

View attachment 436355

The lower deck hook and eking pieces:

View attachment 436357

And just a parting shot of the aft platform with beams and carlings:

View attachment 436356

Next up: the balance of the lower deck and associated structures.

Thanks for the visit!
Simply Superb!

Hello Friends,

My thanks for the recent posts and likes - you're a fine bunch!

Work has progressed on the build-out of the forward platform. Unfortunately, I failed to take any pictures during the construction itself. Individual work sessions were often short and spread out over many days, so I guess it never seemed like time to take a picture... :confused:

Apart from the multiple floor heights, however, the bulkheads, walls, and doors were pretty much the same as the aft platform.

Here's a few finish images (once again, only the starboard side is being built):

View attachment 436350

View attachment 436352

View attachment 436351

View attachment 436353

View attachment 436354

And now here's a picture with the forward deck beams and carlings loosely positioned. The vertical posts are the riding bitt uprights (these needed to be roughed in at this point because they pass through the platform decking, are notched to the lower deck beam, and had to have their heels 'fitted').

View attachment 436355

The lower deck hook and eking pieces:

View attachment 436357

And just a parting shot of the aft platform with beams and carlings:

View attachment 436356

Next up: the balance of the lower deck and associated structures.

Thanks for the visit!
Sharp Lense and v'good lighting to compliment the excellent work. Choice stuff Doc.

Howdy,

In my ongoing efforts to be identified as the most inefficient modeler on the SOS forum I'm pleased to announce that over the past week and a half I have made several hours of actual progress on my build. OK, maybe 90-95 minutes of progress (I rounded up).

The middle section of the lower deck:

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

Trickier than it looks:

IMG_0560.JPG

Well, that's pretty much it ROTF.

The rest of the time was spent trying to figure out what I'm doing... Oh, and reading any number of very interesting posts (and responses to posts) on our forum ROTF. So much entertainment here!

Howdy,

In my ongoing efforts to be identified as the most inefficient modeler on the SOS forum I'm pleased to announce that over the past week and a half I have made several hours of actual progress on my build. OK, maybe 90-95 minutes of progress (I rounded up).

View attachment 437938

View attachment 437940

View attachment 437939

Trickier than it looks:

View attachment 437937

The rest of the time was spent trying to figure out what I'm doing... Oh, and reading any number of very interesting posts (and responses to posts) on our forum ROTF. So much entertainment here!
Yeah I can see where you struggle to improve and strive to keep up with and build to the same average level we others submit ----ROTFLMAO!!! cheers.

Howdy,

View attachment 437938

View attachment 437940

View attachment 437939

Trickier than it looks:

View attachment 437937

Great overhead photography! Looks like a drone flew over an 18th century shipyard.

Last joint looks like it will be super tight!! Thanks for sharing.

n my ongoing efforts to be identified as the most inefficient modeler on the SOS forum
... where do we have such a meeter on the forum, to calculate members' inefficiency, mon ami? ROTF ROTF ROTF ROTF :p:p
The middle section of the lower deck
The middle deck looks fantastic with a precise fit of ledges and carlings. I am sure you made those from scratch.

Sorry, I did not know, which smiley I should choose. But about this sentence
In my ongoing efforts to be identified as the most inefficient modeler on the SOS forum I'm pleased to announce [...]
I must laugh. I know at minimum one modeller who is much much more inefficient. ROTF

Your beam construction for the orlop deck is really well executed until know. Before glueing the carlings in position, I would prepare the and install the knees.

Howdy,

View attachment 437938

View attachment 437940

View attachment 437939

Trickier than it looks:

View attachment 437937

Oh, you are just building a ship to be a member of the forum. Happy that has been clarified ROTF

Good morning Paul my friend,
unfortunately I haven't had much time to follow all the blogs lately. I'm sure that what you have created in the last few weeks is anything but inefficient. Your work is, as always, very precise and of the highest quality, I'm very impressed.

Thanks for the nice comments, gentlemen. And for all the likes.

Yes, @Jimsky, I am now apparently scratch building via a kit ROTF. I'm sure Mr. Hunt left off all these lower components for the sake of simplicity and to keep the cost of the kit down (though I believe it was still quite expensive when it was released) - but these are very interesting elements, and I am learning as I go.

@AnobiumPunctatum. You made me laugh too, Christian! Your pursuit of perfection must be tamed ROTF. And yes, knees are next - at least on one side of the ship. But I'm thinking maybe no ledges on this deck (?).

@Maarten Actually I joined the forum so I could trick you into providing tourist services in Amsterdam ROTF.

You should install the ledges at minimum partially where you will not plank the deck. For the missing ledges I would make the notches in the carlings, to show that the ledges are missing.
Yup. That was my original plan. But I have noticed on other builds that when there are ledges in place it creates a visual 'block' that stops the eyes from seeing what is below... Even though it is possible to see what is below - it takes intentional effort. But maybe that's OK?

I am struggling with how best to proceed. I was going to build half-finished, and half opened - but now that I am adding details I'm leaning in the direction of less finished and more open... No decking on this deck at all???

Yup. That was my original plan. But I have noticed on other builds that when there are ledges in place it creates a visual 'block' that stops the eyes from seeing what is below... Even though it is possible to see what is below - it takes intentional effort. But maybe that's OK?

I am struggling with how best to proceed. I was going to build half-finished, and half opened - but now that I am adding details I'm leaning in the direction of less finished and more open... No decking on this deck at all???
I agree with your assessment on the lower decking Paul. Several times I started to suggest some ways to leave some of your incredible work exposed for others to marvel at. I did not want to influence you at this point but there surely are artistic ways to show case the lower sections???

I would only install the ledges midships, where you do not have the platforms.

I know what you mean. I am thinking now for many years about the representation of my build - but to be honest I did not have a final answer.
I prefer the style of the Navy Board Models with an unplanked underwater hull and partly planked decks. I like to show the rigging for the masts and spars but no sails (this depends a little bit on the size of the finished model). Perhaps I will cut away some frames on the port side to have an easier view to the hold. For sure I will use paint for the freeze and figures. But the other points may change in the future. I have a lot of time until I have to make my final decision.

Your build helps me a lot to see how the model changes during the build

Last edited:
Back