is a bearding line necessary?

my instructions do not mention a bearding line at all. they instruct to sand the stern to nill after planking. there are no lines in the false keel for guide. i have no additional keel to mount or stern post. do i plank until i think i can fake a stern post? and the bow will be a challenge also. love these Italian instructions. at least i figured the stairs go up and down...... do i need to ask Captain Morgan?

I am attempting the HMS Surprise 1:75 Mamoli kit. I realize the faring of bulkheads, but does the bow planking end in a pattern showing an actual forward keel and astern an actual sternpost? The whole bearding line has me aghast.

Sometimes I wonder why I never got into Mary's pants in 1974, now I know why.

I am attempting the HMS Surprise 1:75 Mamoli kit. I realize the faring of bulkheads, but does the bow planking end in a pattern showing an actual forward keel and astern an actual sternpost? The whole bearding line has me aghast.

If you are asking of the wood of the stem and the sternpost are exposed, visible, and not covered with planking, the answer is yes. The surface of the planking at the stern is flush with the surface of the stem. So, you will have to submerge the planking into the deadwood such that the there is no stepped edge where the planking meets the stem.

1713057156149.png

Showing halfway through final planking of the bottom. Do you see how the final planks are even in depth with the sternpost? Lower down, you can see how I dug out the first planking near the sternpost with a sharp, chisel edged razor knife and reinforces the soft balsa underneath with some yellow PVA glue in that area that is triangle shaped. No also that the planking of the deadwood is flush with the sides of the keel. All this shaping means extra knife work, but it's the only way at this stage to make the plans correct.
1713057557604.png

If you are asking of the wood of the stem and the sternpost are exposed, visible, and not covered with planking, the answer is yes. The surface of the planking at the stern is flush with the surface of the stem. So, you will have to submerge the planking into the deadwood such that the there is no stepped edge where the planking meets the stem.

View attachment 441537

Showing halfway through final planking of the bottom. Do you see how the final planks are even in depth with the sternpost? Lower down, you can see how I dug out the first planking near the sternpost with a sharp, chisel edged razor knife and reinforces the soft balsa underneath with some yellow PVA glue in that area that is triangle shaped. No also that the planking of the deadwood is flush with the sides of the keel. All this shaping means extra knife work, but it's the only way at this stage to make the plans correct.
View attachment 441538
Once again Kurt comes through. Even if I have to make my own pattern of stern post, I believe I can make this happen. Love your cheaters in here. Very helpful.

I thought I could do away with the bearding line too but that's not the case. It's easy enough to do the garboards along the hull by sanding the edge of the board and pushing it up flush with the hull and the keel but it's another whole ball game on the stem and stern posts. Take the time to do it right. Draw the line on the timber first and then cut it out for the planks. It has to be done by hand but to line up the half frames and the cant frames on the bow and the stern you really do need the line to go by. If some planks stick up a bit you can sand them down to be level and flush and if you are double planking you'll need the line even more so. At least that's what I'm finding out on the Great Republic clipper ship.
As for doing things over and over to get them right, it's the only way. I rebuilt the whole ship twice, rebuilt the bow three times and just finished rebuilding the stern post area for the fifth time. Lining up the stern was a real bummer. However it's now as close as it can get so it's glued, screwed and done and that's the way it's going to stay.
Whatever happened to Mary?

I know I can do this. The cant lines are not in my info. But the information I receive is very helpful. I appreciate your help and will move forward. I have viewed your build on the Great Republic Clipper, awesome. Excellent info and Thank You.

Mary, I hope she grew up and had kids and stuff. Wish her well..

Back