New forum feature How to Export Your Thread to PDF file

then i tried to open the A file and get this

aexp3.JPG

so i closed Edge so it is not in use and tried again and the file is no longer there it is a ghost file

It seems that for whatever reason, the "Default Application" for opening PDF's is set to "Word" or "word pad" or similar.

When you have the file downloaded on your PC, then right-click on the ICON and make sure the Default APP is Adobe. Or you can right click on the ICON and select OPEN WITH and then select Adobe Reader.

Also, if you do not have Adobe Reader (free version) it will not open but default to something else.

1702399912977.png

Edge downloads save as CRDOWNLOAD files

To have the file show up in the correct file format without changing any settings, open the Downloads window (down arrow with line underneath in toolbar) and click the “open” or “save” option for the document you want saved. It’s likely showing up as a CRDOWNLOAD file because it needs your permission to open/save the document. CRDOWNLOAD file is sort of like the limbo file state until Edge can fully download it.

In case you can’t figure out the above and are in a rush, a work around that I was using before was:

Go to settings on Microsoft Edge Browser

Go to the Downloads section (URL: edge://settings/downloads)

If “Ask me what to do with each download” is toggled on, turn it off

See if downloads are showing up correctly now

tried this and turned off the “Ask me what to do with each download” nope still no PDF it comes in as a CRDOWNLOAD

tried the open and save and still no PDF

I am confirming that exporting using the Edge browser is a problem. It tries to save (download) but is stuck finishing, never completed. (see the screenshot). This is a relatively small export, only 2 pages. The resulting file (incomplete)
is Unconfirmed 830429.crdownload

1702406833436.png

i went to google chrome and followed the instructions and it took mybe 30 seconds and i got a PDF file of a build log

went back to Edge and got nothing so Edge does not work but Google Chrome does

there is nothing you can do with this file "Edge download CRDOWNLOAD file" as Jim said Edge gets "stuck" and will not finish the download so when you try to open the CRDOWNLOAD it will tell you the file is in use and NOTHING will open it. it is just a temp file frozen in limbo.

i have tried several ways to fit it but so far nothing worked

we may want to try different browsers to see which ones work and which ones don't

Alright Dave\folks, when using Edge browser, instead of choosing 'Save to PDF' look down to 'Microsft Print to PDF'.
Not sure what are the differences, but this printer works!!

1702408077392.png

Attached is the printed file.

Attachments

• ExportToMicrosoft_PDF.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Another useful shortcut when you finish step 5) (below)

1702410408166.png

Instead of clicking: File ==> Save as, on your keyboard click 'Control P' e.g. 'Control + P' this will open a print dialog, then choose 'Microsoft to PDF printer'

As a side note that probably some do not want to hear is that I never use Edge or Chrome - However, I will say this. Some institutions like Doctor Offices, health care facilities, and other professional-related organizations seem to prefer Edge and Chrome when they set up PATIENT PORTALS.

Maybe between me / Jim and others, we can find the problem with Edge as there are some seemingly loyal to it. I will try Edge myself and see what happens.

Alright Dave\folks, when using Edge browser, instead of choosing 'Save to PDF' look down to 'Microsft Print to PDF'.
Not sure what are the differences, but this printer works!!

View attachment 413587

Attached is the printed file.
I use the "Print to PDF" printer selection in Edge as opposed to "Save as PDF". Possible why it worked for me. It may be helpful to wait for the preview window to complete before starting the printout (to PDF).

Last edited:
Doing some google searching, I see that it is a common problem with the latest release of Win 11 or thereabouts. I found this little info but I have not tried it yet

A workaround, if you have to use Edge, is to make a copy of the .crdownload file when the progress shows 0 KB remaining to download and then rename it with the .pdf extension. You should then be able to open it. You can then cancel the download to remove the .crdownload file.

It is also my understanding that Chrome and Edge are using the same coding. You might want to uninstall Edige and Chrome and reload. That is if MS will let you remove the program - I can't suggest this - but you would be on your own to try.

So far after I experimented and even downloaded the latest Edge, I still can not get it to work right. The file saves and starts to download and gives the usual progress bar and when it reaches the amount, let's say 500M, it reports 0M and the file (as you all say) is invalid. I have not tried Chrome as other things came up I had to attend to.

My suggestion is to use Firefox. It is all open source and is a very flexible browser and powerful too and does not add all the overhead that other browsers do.

I have not tried Chrome as other things came up I had to attend to.
I am confirming that ' Save to PDF' is functioning in the Chrome and Brave browsers. As I posted earlier, using 'Print to Microsoft PDF' will function in the Edge browser too. It seems a different version of a PDF printer. It got to be a 'Microsoft' to be different. ROTF

'Print to Microsoft PDF'
Hi Jim,
I tried the 'Print to Microsoft PDF' - and had some glitches - I will try again since you were able to get it to function. However, I assume that it was only Chrome and Brave that worked and not Edge (even though I have heard that Chrome and Edge are the same - which personally - I don't believe they are).

Ok,
So, I have also confirmed that Chrome WILL work - and it will work with EITHER "Print to Microsoft PDF" AND "Print to pdf"

So, therefore, it remains that ONLY Microsoft EDGE is problematic.

We have these Browsers reported that function correctly with the Export Thread function:
Chrome
Safari
Brave
Firefox

'Print to Microsoft PDF'
Hi Jim,
I tried the 'Print to Microsoft PDF' - and had some glitches - I will try again since you were able to get it to function. However, I assume that it was only Chrome and Brave that worked and not Edge (even though I have heard that Chrome and Edge are the same - which personally - I don't believe they are).
Just to be clear... 'Print to PDF' works in Chrome and Brave browsers, but doesn't work in the Edge browser. The work around for the Edge, I use 'Print to Microsoft PDF' instead of 'Print to PDF'.

Back