how many times can the same part break during rigging?

im rigging a clipper and it seems im breaking the same stupid part over and over... by accident of course. the rear boom that sticks out past the stern just has a way of catching my shirt sleeve or if i reach behind or under that boom... Click! got dam it i broke it at least 5 times in exactly the same place. i finally got fed up and decided glue isnt doing the job anymore so i drilled the centers of beoken boom and doweled it using a 1/4" long stiff wire and epoxy. its a perfect mend... but lets see how long this will last?

let's hear your stories? im sure this must be a common problem. all it takes is a slip of the tweezies as you tighten a knot and something's gotta give.

im rigging a clipper and it seems im breaking the same stupid part over and over... by accident of course. the rear boom that sticks out past the stern just has a way of catching my shirt sleeve or if i reach behind or under that boom... Click! got dam it i broke it at least 5 times in exactly the same place. i finally got fed up and decided glue isnt doing the job anymore so i drilled the centers of beoken boom and doweled it using a 1/4" long stiff wire and epoxy. its a perfect mend... but lets see how long this will last?

let's hear your stories? im sure this must be a common problem. all it takes is a slip of the tweezies as you tighten a knot and something's gotta give.

1. Wear a short-sleeved shirt. (Sorry, I just had to throw that in, a personality weakness:))
2. Can you store the boom until later in the build to minimize the exposure time.
3. Tie a bit ribbon on the end of the boom similar to the "Remove Before Flight" pendants used on airplanes. That can get your attention when
you are in the threatened area. I use this and at times have built a light cardboard shelter to protect the boom or bowsprit.
Enjoy

Last edited:
Yep, happens to all of us, and the answer can be only once. Leave it broken off and re-attach it at the very end. Anything that is exposed like that (Jib-boom, Spanker boom, boat davits, gunport lids, dummy guns, anchors, etc...) go on absolutely last. Get the main masts as close to complete as you can before working on the extremities that are usually easy to access without going through a web of lines. Hope that helps :)

My rule no. one, (as Gibbs would say) ALWAYS wear short-sleeved shirts.
Good behaviour from me has only resulted in one bowsprit break (twice), on my 'Connie'. I reduced the diameter of the broken ends to slip inside a piece of brass tube of the same diameter, as the 'sprit was painted, the repair was invisible. The kit (Mantua) supplied dolphin striker was a very flimsy ply, which just fell apart, so I constructed one from solid wood, which remained intact throughout.

This is one of the biggest entertaining factors in our hobby (NO!). Pieces, ready subassemblies, sensitive parts go missing every day. We can blame Mr. Murphy for it or we can be proud that we can experience the 4th dimension every time. They just simply go somewhere (to be probably found at the next big sweep-up, some months later) but one thing is for sure: you will find the missing culprit immediately after finishing the replacement for it. But don't hope to find it if you don't make another one!
János

This is one of the biggest entertaining factors in our hobby (NO!). Pieces, ready subassemblies, sensitive parts go missing every day. We can blame Mr. Murphy for it or we can be proud that we can experience the 4th dimension every time. They just simply go somewhere (to be probably found at the next big sweep-up, some months later) but one thing is for sure: you will find the missing culprit immediately after finishing the replacement for it. But don't hope to find it if you don't make another one!
János

Yes, this reflects these corollaries to Murphy's law:
  • A dropped part will tend to fall in the place where it is most difficult to find (also known as the principle of cryptogravity)
  • The probability of finding a lost part is directly proportional to the resources expended in purchasing or constructing a new one
Fair winds!

Thank you < I thought it was just me , after the third time I broke the lower bow spirit I put a red ribbon there...so far so good. Thank goodness no one was home to hear my bad choice of words..............

hahahahaha bad choice of words?.... i speak in alien tongues n use words that have never been heard by humans. ROTF

also as i work between rigging with forceps in each hand, one slip n there goes a slew of repairs. man its hard working inside a spider web.

flagging those booms does help but catch any of its associated rigging ; there it goes again.

it takes a sharp eye n steady hands.

How very typical! Why is that Bl...y bowsprit watching for you to jump into your arm, back, sleeve, etc. ?
Or is it some Freudian thing meaning you do not really want to finish that model, that you cannot leave it alone?

Yes, this reflects these corollaries to Murphy's law:
  • A dropped part will tend to fall in the place where it is most difficult to find (also known as the principle of cryptogravity)
  • The probability of finding a lost part is directly proportional to the resources expended in purchasing or constructing a new one
Fair winds!
ah yes, the carpet monsters. As soon as a part hits carpet it gets consumed by the carpet monsters., according to an anoymous source.

Back