HMS Victory Photos

While I am currently at the planking stage of my HMS Victory, the kind of information offered by such photographs is invaluable for my future detailing. Obviously as your images were taken in the 1980s, they are not digital but I assume, scanned from the originals. To scan the number you have is a big effort or has it been largely done?

If available I urge you to provide members with access, if not on this forum then a possible download site eg Dropbox or Google Drive.

Personally, I would be extremely interested. For example, I am currently grappling with a lack of detail around the ship’s counter under her stern and where the rudder post enters the hull. It is nearly impossible to get a good photograph of this area.

Best Regards,

PeterG
Posted what I have of the stern and rudder. Hope they help.

Hi Jupiter,

This is fantastic. The detail you bring with your photographs is excellent and will assist greatly with many aspects on our models.

I thank you for addressing my comments regarding the stern with rudder details, but even here, the detail of the counter (above the waterline, where the rudder post enters the hull) is a bit shrouded in mystery. The outer facings of the hull (viewed from the side) mean the counter is always in shadow and not visible, but I have seen models (eg by Alexander74 as below), where the counter is shown and it is planked (with the two rear gun (?) ports).

1713226869383.png

I have also seen other models where this area is smooth and not planked, but I have NOT seen a picture from the real ship to indicate what the surface is (as per your own below).

1713227196676.png

In the Caldercraft model, it is smooth and not planked. Perhaps someone who has intimate knowledge of the real ship could provide some information on the outer lining of the counter.

Best Regards,

PeterG

Hi Jupiter,

This is fantastic. The detail you bring with your photographs is excellent and will assist greatly with many aspects on our models.

I thank you for addressing my comments regarding the stern with rudder details, but even here, the detail of the counter (above the waterline, where the rudder post enters the hull) is a bit shrouded in mystery. The outer facings of the hull (viewed from the side) mean the counter is always in shadow and not visible, but I have seen models (eg by Alexander74 as below), where the counter is shown and it is planked (with the two rear gun (?) ports).

View attachment 441907

I have also seen other models where this area is smooth and not planked, but I have NOT seen a picture from the real ship to indicate what the surface is (as per your own below).

View attachment 441908

In the Caldercraft model, it is smooth and not planked. Perhaps someone who has intimate knowledge of the real ship could provide some information on the outer lining of the counter.

Best Regards,

PeterG
Peter, if you enlarge the photo, you can see the joints of the boards. Pointed with arrows. The photo I posted earlier is the model of Evgeniy Epura, his style of work is to highlight the joints of the boards. Although, in fact, on real ships all these joints were caulked with putty and then painted. As you can see on the museum Victory, the joints are almost invisible.
Victory197 Modified.jpgVictory234 Modified.jpg

Have to remember how old those deck boards are. Don't think they have sailors holy stoning them these days!

Jupiter913, many thanks again. An excellent set of high detail photographs.
Alexander74:
Peter, if you enlarge the photo, you can see the joints of the boards. Pointed with arrows. The photo I posted earlier is the model of Evgeniy Epura, his style of work is to highlight the joints of the boards. Although, in fact, on real ships all these joints were caulked with putty and then painted. As you can see on the museum Victory, the joints are almost invisible.

Alexander74, thanks for highlighting this planking. Although the image is dark, I think you are correct and when examined closely, you can see the horizontal planking across the counter. This is different to the Caldercraft kit, but easily dealt with, so I will plank this later on.

Regards,

PeterG

It had to be planked. There was no technology available at the time to make a suitable sheet material of sufficient size to cover the counter of a ship. Marine plywoods were developed in Holland in the 1930's by Cornelius (Kees) Bruynzeel, manager of the family's new door factory in Zaandam. By 1939 the threat of World War II was depressing the building industry. Kees pioneered the development of new timber materials using a newly-developed water-resistant synthetic resin glue, Naval architect Ricus van de Stadt, known to Bruynzeel through the sailing fraternity, received the order to design a daysailer suitable for series production. Bruynzeel suggested that his new “Hechthout” laminated panel, as he called it, was superbly suited as a building material for such a sailing yacht. In 1939 the Valk came into being, still a popular open sailing boat in the Netherlands today. The special marine grade plywood from Bruynzeel was a perfect construction material for the project.

Re ImageVictory234. This seems to show some surprisingly thin planks arriving at the stern post near the top of the rudder. Would these have tapered down to become thin planks piled horizontally on the edges of the thicker planking below?
Superb and useful photos- thank you.

While I am currently at the planking stage of my HMS Victory, the kind of information offered by such photographs is invaluable for my future detailing. Obviously as your images were taken in the 1980s, they are not digital but I assume, scanned from the originals. To scan the number you have is a big effort or has it been largely done?

If available I urge you to provide members with access, if not on this forum then a possible download site eg Dropbox or Google Drive.

Personally, I would be extremely interested. For example, I am currently grappling with a lack of detail around the ship’s counter under her stern and where the rudder post enters the hull. It is nearly impossible to get a good photograph of this area.

Best Regards,

PeterG
One more I found of the stern,

Victory153 Modified JPG.jpg

Back