HMS Victory Cross Section - 1:98 - Corel Build

I’ve been enjoying reading all the information posted on SoS for the last couple of years, especially when researching building techniques. I’ve particularly enjoyed the weekly popular posts, what a great way of generating interest in what others are building.

I was looking for a relatively small project after completing a couple of challenging longer term kits so I thought a cross section would be fun. I found a kit locally from a private seller - HMS Victory by Corel (SM 24). It looks like the kit was manufactured in the mid ‘80s but it aged well. My main concern were the 2 plywood hull halves ( look like clam shells ) but they are quite true.

The instructions are pretty good but reflect the standard back in the day ( no photos or videos). I’m just working from a couple of the plans and they’re well designed. So here’s what I’m starting with.

IMG_4512.jpegHMS Victory Plan 2.JPG
HMS Victory Plan 3.JPG

Corel recommends attaching the frame halves to a plywood base that can sit vertically. Their technique works pretty well, I just used an old base I’d used to build the Surprise because it can lay flat or sit up. The construction strategy is basically line the inner hull working from the keel to the top deck. It’s done stepwise, lining the hull until the lowest deck is reached, build that deck then continue lining the hull until the next deck, etc. Corel advises using small nails at the end of each deck beam because of the slight bow in the beams. I did this but removed the nails after the glue dried to provide a smoother surface for the waterways. The pics are roughly in sequence building from the bottom up.

IMG_4500.JPG

IMG_4501.JPG

IMG_4502.JPG

IMG_4513.JPGIMG_4523.JPGIMG_4526.JPG

IMG_4566.JPG

IMG_4569.JPG

IMG_4562.JPG

IMG_4553.JPG

IMG_4568.JPG

IMG_4555.JPG

IMG_4558.JPG

IMG_4564.JPG

But we can see the progress ......
BTW: You can adjust your own posts whenever you want via the button "Edit" at the bottom of the post

Back