H.M.S. Victory by Caldercraft - Build Log

Well, it took 9 days of a little work here, a little work there. Usually about 3 hours at a time after spending time down at the marina.

I am not sure one way or another if it's ok. I did alter the runs a few times to create some areas where I am going to need stealer plates.

Also, I did attempt to add final cut pieces and after the fact, I am not happy. I used a regular pair of scissors to cut the plates and that was fine, but it does warp the plate. After a first attempt, I removed a lot of the little wedges and I'm going to wait till I'm done and circle back around.

I can see some areas where the CA glue is visible. Once I'm done, I'll see if Q-tips and acetone can help remove that. I've seen other builds where any attempt to work at the finished plating is worse.

Hopefully, filling in the wedges goes well! So on to the port side and I'll see you soon!!!!

Oh, I have been working on building the cannons. I have been cutting them out about six at a time and building the bases....just something to keep my sanity.

View attachment 442737View attachment 442738View attachment 442739View attachment 442740View attachment 442741View attachment 442742

View attachment 442743View attachment 442744
Good afternoon. Looking really good. It is a fine thing about the Victory. There are so many aspects so when bored with one you jump to another…..I got the nickname Ricochet Rabbit when I built mine. The coppering is coming out brilliantly- nice! Cheers Grant

I have been working slowly on the plating. Balancing getting ready for summer around here and working inside on the model are starting to conflict with each other!

Been working on getting my real sailboat in the water and that is almost done.

I have also finished the bases of 15 of the cannons. I don't have pictures yet but will provide some. They are pretty easy to build and I've spent more time sanding and cleaning up each of the pieces before assembly.

I created a quick jig to help with create the cannon bases. Just 2 pieces of wood glued to a larger piece to give me stability as I glue the axles to the 2 carriages. I also drilled out the holes in the carriages to allow the 1mm wire to pass through for the base of the cannon bed.

Doing this task while doing something as tedious as the plating helps to keep me focused.

20240427_181216.jpg

20240430_155351.jpg

20240430_155355.jpg

Well, I am not going to lie. While I have been working quite a bit on getting my sailboat ready to launch I have been sidetracked by a VERY guilty pleasure.

I saw the series Black Sails and never really thought about taking a look. But then one rainy day a few weeks ago I took a stab.

HUGE MISTAKE. As a sailor and now as a 'builder' of a ship from this era (kind of), it just captured my attention. It is a riveting series, weaving history with an engaging back story (much like Cameron did with his Titanic movie).

I couldn't help myself as I watched episode after episode and I if I hadn't been alone, I would have driven everyone crazy as I pointed out the many details of the ships that I have come to know in my build or in my reading.

In this day and age of high speed vehicles, ships, airplanes and more, it is probably very difficult to comprehend that we are talking about ships that had to fight to reach 6-7 knots of speed. That's with stiff winds and the right angles. Imagine light breezes as you are trying to go that last 1500 yards into a bay with a breeze no more than 2 or 3 knots! I know the show kind of took license when it came to some of the maneuvers the ships made to get into position, but I felt it was such a joy to watch and pretend to be a part of.

So....if you are lucky enough to have Netflix....take a chance. Give the first episode a view and I promise, you'll be hooked!!!!

Fair winds!
Chris

Black sales.jpg

Back