Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nikitin - Build log

UNBOXING

The packaging is very secure and includes a couple of high quality photos that assist in the interpretation of the plans and the manual.
IMG_2959.jpg
The contents of the box are well protected from rough handling during shipping.
IMG_2961.jpg
The kit includes laser cut wood and MFB, the mast and main spar, sails and an organizer box. The cells of the organizer box are numbered. The cell numbers are shown on the plans and in the instruction manual so finding the right part is easy.
IMG_2966.jpg
The organizer contains very high quality cordage for the rigging.
IMG_2981.jpg
Several etched brass and copper sheets are also included in the organizer box. It looks like these parts can easily be removed. The etched sheet are covered with, what looks like heat shrink protective plastic. It is easy to remove when the parts are needed. This will make blackening easy when the time comes.
IMG_2982.jpg
The other cells include larger laser cut parts and a 3D printed lantern. There is quite a bit of char that looks like it will required a bit of sanding before gluing and staining.
IMG_2986.jpg
IMG_2988.jpg
The instructions are provided in a bound book. The instructions are all graphic. However there is a introductory page in English and what I think is Russian that explains the graphic instructions used in the rest of the book. Look at the illustration below. The wood parts are identified by number in a single circle and the sheet they must cut from is identified by a number and letter in a double circle. For parts that must be taken from the organizer box, the cell number is shown in a double square. The drop icon tells you when it is time to glue items to the model. The pencil comment is by me.
IMG_3978.jpg
The kit also include 5 sheets of plans. Samples are shown below. Again the parts are reference to the appropriate cell in the organizer box. Rigging cords are identified by a number preceded with the letter. One of the sheets has a table that identifies the diameter and color of the cordage and organizer box cell where it is stored.
IMG_3991.jpg

In summary, this looks like a well thought out kit that is well worth the price. Can't wait to get started.

Hello Bliickwer, The Shallop is an excellent kit! I’ve started it but stopped, I’m trying to decide what finish to use and what part of the build to apply it. One tip I’d do if I did another is. As you are assembling the frames, as you take them off the board, visually see where it goes in the hull building frame. Make sure the taper is the right direction. The way you build the frames separate, makes it easy when there are so many:) I’m finished with the planking. That’s when you find you’ve done some wrong:) I’ll be following, and probably be encouraged to start back.

FRAME CRADLE

First task was to construct the cradle in which to build the skeleton of the vessel. The parts for this are all contained in a laser cut MDF sheet.
IMG_3002 2.jpg
This is what the finished cradle looks like. It was very easy to construct. However many of the pieces need a bit of sanding or filing before they went together. The main work had to be done in the corners of the female part of the connection. Sometimes it also helped to sand down the male part. Once removing a minimal amount of material, the cradle would almost hold itself together without glue. I am an engineer and we are belt and suspender kind of folks. I used PVA.
IMG_3010.jpg

Hey Blickwer! Great model, and the finished product will look awesome. Very delicate model to do. I broke quite a few of the little pieces with my ham-hands. You can see my completed ship, but I can't find the build log I did while I was working on the boat. Question for the moderators...once a ship is complete, is the build log deleted? Or am I just search-challenged?

Hey Blickwer! Great model, and the finished product will look awesome. Very delicate model to do. I broke quite a few of the little pieces with my ham-hands. You can see my completed ship, but I can't find the build log I did while I was working on the boat. Question for the moderators...once a ship is complete, is the build log deleted? Or am I just search-challenged?
Although I'm not a moderator, I'll try to answer :)
Your topics are not deleted, they are easy to find after simple steps. 1) Click on the username (for example, Kramer or Dave boatswain) when a small window pops up then you need to click on the name a second time. 2) A menu should open, there you need to find the “find” button, and then select “Find all threads by Kramer”. Done, a list of all the topics that you have ever created has been found.

Back