Buccaneer by Occre - Second Build

Todays accomplishment:
1711652536769.jpeg1711652576965.jpeg

1711652598651.jpeg1711652629899.jpeg

At this point I can't imagine that the hull will look good in the end but with a lot of sanding and then sanding and then filling and sanding [and so on] I hope to get it like I achived it with my Polaris (still a little bit proud :cool:)

Hi all,
I need your help to decide how to go on with the deck.

From the left to the right right decks:
without weatering; light weatherig; heavy weathering with sanding; heavy weathering

View attachment 434328

View attachment 434329View attachment 434330
View attachment 434331View attachment 434332

I think every option is quite nice, but which one suits the buccaneer best in your opinion?
It’s a toss up for me between the light weathering and the heavy weathering with sanding. And since I’m just catching up to a question from a month ago, I can tell you went with the heavy weathering with sanding. Great choice. And given this is only your 2nd model, nice jump into the world of weathering.

Planking is challenging but keep at it. Quick note… when I was done with mine (also the Buccaneer - and shameless plug, there’s a build log), I tapped all the nails in only to then realize that I’d have to file the nail heads away. What I should have done (after the glue was fully dry) is remove the nails.

Regardless of what you do, plan on spending time on the sanding and filler of this first planking. The better (smoother) it is, the easier the. 2nd planking will go on, and ultimately the better it will look.

But I’m no expert… I’ve only got 2 plankings behind me.

Planking is challenging but keep at it. Quick note… when I was done with mine (also the Buccaneer - and shameless plug, there’s a build log), I tapped all the nails in only to then realize that I’d have to file the nail heads away. What I should have done (after the glue was fully dry) is remove the nails.

Regardless of what you do, plan on spending time on the sanding and filler of this first planking. The better (smoother) it is, the easier the. 2nd planking will go on, and ultimately the better it will look.

But I’m no expert… I’ve only got 2 plankings behind me.
Hi Hugh,
I'm of course already following your build log
At my first build I also removed most of the nails. That is not my problem. My problem is how to add the planks. In the Polaris manual (first build) the manual gave a lot hints how to do it. The Buccaneer manual is missing that and also the videos don't really show it...and also the the build logs mostly start with the planking finished
But I will manage it somehow. I also got some papers here in the forum, but at the moment that way (tapering each plank) seams much to complicated for me.

Back