Anteo Harbour Tug. Panart

Hello and welcome. I’ve just made up the foredeck winch and I couldn’t be more pleased with the result. It took a few hours to figure out how it went together but was a fun little project in itself. I’m thinking that if I just paint its frame leaving the rest natural brass it will make an attractive feature. As I’m not building it as a scale replica but only a show piece I’m now thinking of cladding the cabin and some of the other wooden parts in mahogany and making up a lot of the fixtures in brass for a nice contrast, even leaving the hull cladding brass. This scheme worked out well for me on my Amerigo Vespucci build, and who doesn’t like brass and mahogany on boats, Kens take on a model tug.

057.jpg

058.jpg

060.jpg

061.jpg

063.jpg

Hi Ken.
It's all starting to look great, I can see the brass winch being a real feature. What's your plans for the hull? Are you thinking of painting it or varnish? That planking looked a real challenge and turned out really well. Great work JJ..

Hi Jack, Thanks for your thumbs up. I’m making my mind up as I go along and getting a feel for how I’d like it to look. Tugs are working boats and as such they tend to look dull and uninspiring but as mine will be just for display I want it to pop a bit so it’ll be different and not one for the purist.

Yes the hull was an awkward shape to plank, it’s much smoother that it looks but because of the varying look and colour of the planks a natural finish is out of the question so it’s going to be a painted hull. The lower hull will be a mid green, the upper will be black and I’ll leave the brass as it is. The main cabin will be white, the upper cabin and walls will be mahogany with the funnel and all other structures in blue and of course lots of brass.

Here’s a picture of the finished windlass, you’ll get an idea of how the brass fittings will hopefully give it some bling.

071.jpg

Great idea Ken. All models represent the ship at some stage in its' life. Your tug is just being put into service straight out of the builders yard. No grease or rust necessary ;)
Jim
Hi Jim, Thanks for that. Your right, and it's something different which for me makes it more interesting

Hello, Thank you all for your likes and comments, they are most welcome. Today I’m showing you the progress I’ve made on the deck structures, the two rear ones only need planked roofs and hand rails which I have in hand, the engine house roof will have quite a bit of detailing, scuttles, skylights, vents etc. I’m looking forward to tackling that area now that the larger build part is mostly done

064.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

Hi, Thanks, I had plenty of practice on my Panart Amerigo Vespucci which used the same idea for its hull, so I had a good idea how it could look if I made a bit of an effort.
Good morning Ken. I did not know you built the Amerigo- one of my favorite looking ships and on my bucket list. I will have to find your log and check it outThumbsup. Cheers Grant

Hello, Thank you all for your likes and comments, they are most welcome. Today I’m showing you the progress I’ve made on the deck structures, the two rear ones only need planked roofs and hand rails which I have in hand, the engine house roof will have quite a bit of detailing, scuttles, skylights, vents etc. I’m looking forward to tackling that area now that the larger build part is mostly done

View attachment 442457

View attachment 442458

View attachment 442459
You are owing this Ken

Good morning Ken. I did not know you built the Amerigo- one of my favorite looking ships and on my bucket list. I will have to find your log and check it outThumbsup. Cheers Grant
Hi Grant, Thanks for your likes. The Amerigo Vespucci was my first build log on SOS. It proved quite popular and encouraged me to continue posting my builds here. It remains my favourite build and I think that you’d enjoy it.

Hi Grant, Thanks for your likes. The Amerigo Vespucci was my first build log on SOS. It proved quite popular and encouraged me to continue posting my builds here. It remains my favourite build and I think that you’d enjoy it.
Ha, my memory is failing…I have seen your Amerigo- was good to see it again tho :D

Hello modellers. The build is coming along nicely, I’ve built up the main superstructure and started on the captain’s cabin, I’ve also planked and stained the upper deck. I mentioned earlier that I was going to give it a mahogany appearance so using 3x.5mm walnut from my stash I clad the cabin then stained it with light teak which gave it the mahogany look. There are limited instructions but the plans are very good so I didn’t encounter any issues. I’m also working on many of the smaller items at the same time to move things on a bit.

067.jpg

068.jpg

069.jpg

070.jpg

Hello, Another progress report, but first I’ll tell you the way I simulate corking my planks. I use an ink roller, the type that you get from stationers for blanking out document text. Group the planks together then roll it over the edges, it is quite a thick printers ink, it dries almost immediatly and doesn’t leach at all, if you want it darker a second pass will completely blacken the edge, I’ve used this method for a few years now and can thoroughly recommend it.

I’m continuing with the captains cabin, I’ve made up and fitted a couple of doors, fitted the window frames which I’m going to leave a brass finished and made up a small locker for the rear of the cabin. I’ve also finished off the scuttles, doors and hatches for the main cabin as well as the forward bollard. It’s coming together as I’d hoped, no build confusion and it’s proving a very enjoyable build.

074.jpg

075.jpg

076.jpg

072.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the steel plating of the railing, the windlass - I like this kit and model very much
and off course also your work - you are on a very good way with this model :cool:

Looking at the steel plating of the railing, the windlass - I like this kit and model very much
and off course also your work - you are on a very good way with this model :cool:
Hi Ewe, Thanks for your comment. This is a different type of build for me, I wasn't too keen on the kit at first but it's really growing on me, I feel as if I'm actually building a model rather than just assembling pre cut parts, and it's going to be what I make can make of it. I haven't enjoyed building a model as much for some time.

Back