Anatomy of a Ship, Armed Transport Bounty by Roger Mckay, looking for the right-priced book.

Hi everybody, I am very interested in building a model of the Bounty from scratch and have on their way, the original drawing/plans for her. However, those who have endeavored to do the same see that the original has barely enough details and so as Uwek says to help build this model you will need more information and there seems to be that amount attached to the book by Roger Mckay in his Anatomy of a Ship, The Armed Ship Bounty, (the revised edition) which is written on the front soft cover.
To have this book bought into Australia from anywhere in the world is very expensive so If anyone has a copy they want to sell, that is in good condition please let me know.
There are a lot of second-hand ones online but not the latest.
Thank you
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Hi All I have bought a secondhand one off the net reasonably priced. Thank you all for your assistance as it was invaluable.
Regards

Last edited:
Nothing to be gained from the second edition.
It does have a drawing on the inside of the dust jacket (which is in the book anyway).
Otherwise the content is identical in both books.

Last edited:
Hi Corsair, I would grab it in the blink of an eye at that price, but they want over $200 inclusive of postage to Australia. However, that is not the revised edition.(see below for more details.
I was thinking by the time I round up more things it would be better to build it from the kit but still knowing there are lots of unfinished builds because the makers of the kit do not most of the time have all the information to complete the build etc.
Also another problem, for example, is a lot of the time one has to figure out how to make planks 1.5mm x 5 mm thick as there are 3 missing etc. Plus the cost of the kits for the size model I propose to build is astronomical here in Australia and even more so in the State I live in, Western Australia.
So being a pensioner and trying to do something I would love to do I have the majority of the gear to make all these parts up myself. The machinery may be a little crude but it works nicely. I have made the planking to 1.5 mm and came out smooth and accurate in thickness also.
Those two books you have pointed out to me are old additions and they don't have the layout of the ship masts and rigging and ship with numbering on the inside of the softcover of all the sheets( Ropes for the Sail management), which explains why they are so cheap. Some rogues are trying to sell them for around $150 upwards on eBay as well. I saw the latest edition on eBay at $600! Bloody sure they saw me coming!!! -but not buying!!!
So I am willing to pay$80 - $100 Aus and also the postage to Australia as well for a book that is in good order and also the soft cover is also in good condition.
Just an update to what I have written here, I tried to get onto eBay other than eBay Australia and I have to register to connect to American eBay. I will try some other methods. If I can connect which no doubt I can (With my Login Details) I bet I cannot purchase a book at $50 US!
Cheers and thanks for answering

Last edited:
Nothing to be gained from the second edition.
It does have a drawing on the inside of the dust jacket (which is in the book anyway).
Otherwise the content is identical in both books..
Hi Pugwash, you say the identical picture which will be half the size is inside the book, or do they have that picture plan over two pages??
I have already asked a seller on eBay Australia if there was a drawing on the inside dust cover and he said there was not! he was from America. His was $47 us which equates to $70AUS and then $51 US (77 AUS thereabouts) for postage for a second-hand book in pretty good condition. Questionable!
Also in Australia, no bookshops have the book. Now am waiting on my Aussie friends who may verify I am talking nonsense and somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard a bookshop that has 10 copies at $50 AUS. On my side of Australia, eastern staters call it the Sand Dune State and also the Wait Awhile State. I think the countries in Arab states in the Sahara desert have better service than what we get here. Everything is at a huge cost and at a 6 month wait time as well.
Thanks for answering anyway

Last edited:
It be true…drawing on inside dust cover at 1:96; same drawing in book page 100, at 1:192.IMG_0227.jpegIMG_0226.jpeg

It be true…drawing on inside dust cover at 1:96; same drawing in book page 100, at 1:192.View attachment 442619View attachment 442620
Hi Bleuy, So you have one and where did you get it from? Was it at a price?
Just hope you say "in Aussie mate". lol
Just one thing I did notice is the actual keys to the numbers on the drawing are on a different page. That means I don't have to flip pages continuously to identify what line is what with the softcover with the latest edition.

Sorry cobber, cannot …….Nov ‘21, online seller Ergodebooks out of the US. Got Bounty and Endeavour at same time…both hard cover second hand in excellent condition. bounty was aud 135, endeavour 95 and shipping 43. Was the best prices I could find at time.

As I said earlier, the same info is inside both books.
Use a xerox to enlarge what you want bigger.
That's got to be cheaper than the 2nd edition premium price, surely?
Just trying to help.

As I said earlier, the same info is inside both books.
Use a xerox to enlarge what you want bigger.
That's got to be cheaper than the 2nd edition premium price, surely?
Just trying to help.
Hi Pugwash, Ten minutes ago I solved the problem as I got a secondhand one off the net. The book is supposed to be in good order and from the USA so fingers crossed.
Yes, you are right regards the blow-up of the pic/s.

Sorry cobber, cannot …….Nov ‘21, online seller Ergodebooks out of the US. Got Bounty and Endeavour at same time…both hard cover second hand in excellent condition. bounty was aud 135, endeavour 95 and shipping 43. Was the best prices I could find at time.
No worries mate.
I have just got one of the Youtube for the same price as yours in the end which included postage and whatnot. The seller dropped the price from $50 to $29.95US after I queried him on what was inside.
The postage did not but must be sure it is well protected for shipping which this seller makes sure of as per the reviews on his selling site.
Regards

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed....when there's a forum (any forum) active build log of a particular ship featured in the AOTS catalogue, the prices shoot up!

Suppose I'm fortunate, as I managed to blag the entire series off ebay over a 2 year period for a total of perhaps just over £100.
Here in 'Bighty' they come up frequently at fair prices if you're patient.

Good luck with your project, Garry.

One thing I've noticed....when there's a forum (any forum) active build log of a particular ship featured in the AOTS catalogue, the prices shoot up!

Suppose I'm fortunate, as I managed to blag the entire series off ebay over a 2 year period for a total of perhaps just over £100.
Here in 'Bighty' they come up frequently at fair prices if you're patient.

Good luck with your project, Garry.
Thanks Pugwash. Yes, you need to be patient. I do just wonder if these Sellers on YouTube follow these Forums to get an idea of what modelers are looking for to fix their prices. It doesn't matter, as long as we do get what we are looking for.
I am sure also the book is going to be super handy because there are no drawings and information other than a few (right or wrong) out there as it appears this book shows and I must thank Uwek for that. This Forum of SOS has been very good to me and I bet within the forums there is more than enough information to build any model.

Back