Amerigo Vespucci - Best Kit ?

I am just starting chapter 8 (the final chapter)) and completely agree with GilbertM's comments. I have no doubt, that when finished it will be a beautiful model and the best one that can be purchased, BUT...again I agree with GilbertM. I have replaced a lot of the wood strips with ones I purchased from ModelExpo that are far superior in quality. I also am missing some of the parts that I have been fortunate enough to have been able to either fabricate myself or buy elsewhere.

I also totally agree with GilbertM. Chapter 8 is a real dog! I will battle my way through it but be cursing Mantua at every step wasting my time trying to figure out the next step.
I finally finished installing all three masts plus the shrouds, rat lines, and the fore and aft stays. Can no longer avoid starting the spars. I welcome any prayers that it will go easier than I am anticipating!

Amerigo Vespucci full view.jpeg

Very good looking model - crossing the fingers for the work on the spars

Well done Mantares
Thanks. How is your progress coming along?

I'll do the three main spars first as it looks like the instructions are fairly complete for doing them. Perhaps after building a main spar, the other 4 will become more evident how to do them although I have spent a lot of time looking at the plans so far and not getting a lot of help from them.

I took a few weeks off to build a CNC kit--https://www.bobscnc.com/collections/cnc-routers-engravers/products/quantum-max-cnc-router. Mostly to do picture frame molding for my wife but it will also help construct a really nice display case for the Amerigo Vespucci model.

Thanks. How is your progress coming along?

I'll do the three main spars first as it looks like the instructions are fairly complete for doing them. Perhaps after building a main spar, the other 4 will become more evident how to do them although I have spent a lot of time looking at the plans so far and not getting a lot of help from them.

I took a few weeks off to build a CNC kit--https://www.bobscnc.com/collections/cnc-routers-engravers/products/quantum-max-cnc-router. Mostly to do picture frame molding for my wife but it will also help construct a really nice display case for the Amerigo Vespucci model.
Hi
I have completed installing the 3 masts, shrouds and stays and I am about to complete installing the davits on both sides.
I am not at home right now visiting family on the west coast of France. I brought the spars with me and I am preparing them during free time.
All spars should be ready when I return home next week.
One thing though regarding the spars: I don't really like the wooden rings that Mantua provides and have to be installed on the spars. I'll rather make them using brass wires that I'll solder.
Once I am back my plan is to complete installing the last few davits and build the stair cases on each side of the ship.
Next will be making all those rings and installing the spars.

I am totally ignorant about CNC machines and definitely need to learn a bit more about this machines. I look forward to seeing your display case.

Cheers

Hi
I have completed installing the 3 masts, shrouds and stays and I am about to complete installing the davits on both sides.
I am not at home right now visiting family on the west coast of France. I brought the spars with me and I am preparing them during free time.
All spars should be ready when I return home next week.
One thing though regarding the spars: I don't really like the wooden rings that Mantua provides and have to be installed on the spars. I'll rather make them using brass wires that I'll solder.
Once I am back my plan is to complete installing the last few davits and build the stair cases on each side of the ship.
Next will be making all those rings and installing the spars.

I am totally ignorant about CNC machines and definitely need to learn a bit more about this machines. I look forward to seeing your display case.

Cheers
I love your idea about using wire for the rings. I found 18 gage square wire on Amazon. Should get it in a couple of days. 18 gage is about a millimeter square and that should be close enough.

I love your idea about using wire for the rings. I found 18 gage square wire on Amazon. Should get it in a couple of days. 18 gage is about a millimeter square and that should be close enough.
So today, just for comparison, I installed the laser cut rings on the main mast main spar and what a disaster! Two big issues: One is that it was almost impossible to get the rings square to the spar. The second issue is the black carbon residue on the outside of the ring from the laser cutting. It can't easily be sanded off and just leaves a mess. I'm really looking forward to your idea of using wire. I think it's a brilliant idea that you had!

So today, just for comparison, I installed the laser cut rings on the main mast main spar and what a disaster! Two big issues: One is that it was almost impossible to get the rings square to the spar. The second issue is the black carbon residue on the outside of the ring from the laser cutting. It can't easily be sanded off and just leaves a mess. I'm really looking forward to your idea of using wire. I think it's a brilliant idea that you had!
Hi Mantares
What you are describing is exactly the same experience I had using the Mantua provided rings: impossible to make them fit to the proper diameter, laser cut burn hard to sand, and very fragile.
I gave it a first try in using metallic rings. this is what I am using https://micro-modele.fr/fr/recherche?controller=search&s=plat+de+laiton
Sorry it's in French but quite easy to understand. I am using the 1.5mm x 0.5mm size. I tried the 1mm thick but it was quite hard to make a nice ring.
I gave it a few try and it works quite well. As I previously said I am not at home so I have to do with very few tool. I tried to close the ring with CA glue but it's not really strong enough. I'll have to solder them once I am back home.
Cheers

Hi Mantares
What you are describing is exactly the same experience I had using the Mantua provided rings: impossible to make them fit to the proper diameter, laser cut burn hard to sand, and very fragile.
I gave it a first try in using metallic rings. this is what I am using https://micro-modele.fr/fr/recherche?controller=search&s=plat+de+laiton
Sorry it's in French but quite easy to understand. I am using the 1.5mm x 0.5mm size. I tried the 1mm thick but it was quite hard to make a nice ring.
I gave it a few try and it works quite well. As I previously said I am not at home so I have to do with very few tool. I tried to close the ring with CA glue but it's not really strong enough. I'll have to solder them once I am back home.
Cheers
Are you soldering with an iron or resistance? You have to be very fast to not burn the wood? I'm assuming the rings are installed when you are soldering them?

Are you soldering with an iron or resistance? You have to be very fast to not burn the wood? I'm assuming the rings are installed when you are soldering them?
I'll be using a soldering iron
My plan is to adjust each ring separately from the spar according to its position, hold the ring in a small vice, solder the ring, paint it and then glue on the spar.
Hope this will work
Tedious work considering the number of rings on each spar :p

I will be getting the square wire tomorrow and will start, as you said, the tedious process of creating all the rings. At least the result should be vastly superior to using the laser cut rings. I will keep you informed.

Back