Amati Chinese Pirate Junk Ship 1:100 Scale

fantastic model and very good photography and background of which how did you shoot this with the black BG.

Great work! I see the middle sail is flipped reverse to the other two. Was that actually how it was shown in the plans? The reason I ask is that I completed an Artesania Latina Chinese Junk "Red Dragon", and in it, all the sails orient the same facing side. There's a lot of other differences between the two kits, which makes sense as I'm certain there's likely a thousand different variations of Junks. But the sail orientation is something I'm curious about, and now that I'm re-visiting images of real boats, I see that there are versions in which all the sails have the battens to one side, whereas others have the main sail flipped in relation the fore and aft sails. But I think I've found my answer... it seems that Hong Kong junks had their sails hung to the starboard of the masts, whereas some mainland Chinese junks flipped the center sail to hang off the port side. Here's an interesting document I found that talks about it (and the associated rationale for the difference in sail placement), The sail orientation differences are discussed on page 4. https://www.junkrigassociation.org/... by Brian Platt (750 Kb) 2Apr07 - 759KB-1.pdf

So it would seem the Amati kit is a mainland China junk, and the Artesania Latina is a Hong Kong variant. Just when I thought a junk was a junk was a junk, I discover this distinction. One of the things I love about this forum is that it always generates surprises and food for thought..

Again, really nice work on your completed junk.

Great work! I see the middle sail is flipped reverse to the other two. Was that actually how it was shown in the plans? The reason I ask is that I completed an Artesania Latina Chinese Junk "Red Dragon", and in it, all the sails orient the same facing side. There's a lot of other differences between the two kits, which makes sense as I'm certain there's likely a thousand different variations of Junks. But the sail orientation is something I'm curious about, and now that I'm re-visiting images of real boats, I see that there are versions in which all the sails have the battens to one side, whereas others have the main sail flipped in relation the fore and aft sails. But I think I've found my answer... it seems that Hong Kong junks had their sails hung to the starboard of the masts, whereas some mainland Chinese junks flipped the center sail to hang off the port side. Here's an interesting document I found that talks about it (and the associated rationale for the difference in sail placement), The sail orientation differences are discussed on page 4. https://www.junkrigassociation.org/Resources/Documents/The Chinese Sail by Brian Platt (750 Kb) 2Apr07 - 759KB-1.pdf

So it would seem the Amati kit is a mainland China junk, and the Artesania Latina is a Hong Kong variant. Just when I thought a junk was a junk was a junk, I discover this distinction. One of the things I love about this forum is that it always generates surprises and food for thought..

Again, really nice work on your completed junk.
Thank you, seadeep. It was a great article and I saved it for later reference. Thank you for sharing.
I have done the AL red dragon too, it was a great kit. I built it using the same sail setup/configuration as the Amati Junk.

39CF43DA-275D-4BC2-ACA5-66082FF371A3.jpeg

211796B4-7C03-4207-AEBD-59E9B60618EF.jpeg

There are some great rendition of the Amati model here. This was my first model and it is neither completed nor distinguished. Of more interest to some may be photos I took years ago in Macau's Maritime Museum. The first time I visited I thought someone had merely built the Amati model. The second time I visited I realized that the museum's model was significantly larger. Is this the model Amati's kit is based on? In any case, as far at the museum is concerned, this is not a "pirate" junk. Instead, it is a model of an imperial war junk. The photos show some of the details from the museum model.

War Junk description Macau MM.JPG

War Junk Macau MM.JPG

War Junk bow Macau MM.JPG

War Junk stern Macau MM.JPG

War Junk deck Macau MM.JPG

20081206 (1).jpg

There are some great rendition of the Amati model here. This was my first model and it is neither completed nor distinguished. Of more interest to some may be photos I took years ago in Macau's Maritime Museum. The first time I visited I thought someone had merely built the Amati model. The second time I visited I realized that the museum's model was significantly larger. Is this the model Amati's kit is based on? In any case, as far at the museum is concerned, this is not a "pirate" junk. Instead, it is a model of an imperial war junk. The photos show some of the details from the museum model.

View attachment 443298

View attachment 443299

View attachment 443300

View attachment 443301

View attachment 443303

View attachment 443304
Thank you for sharing, Patuxent. It looks like the Amati kit is scale down version of the museum model. Very Nice build of yours.

BTW, from my understanding, this specific junk was NOT a traditional Chinese junk. It was a hybrid ship (junk rigging with European hull) called lorcha. You can see more info at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorcha_(boat).
The traditional Chinese junk usually has a barge-like hull with a rudder way lower than the keel and sometimes with leeboards on the sides.

Back