3d printing

here is the Indiana

INDIANA (1848)_f0001_i00001.jpg

here is the salvage of the engine

INDIANA (1848)_f0002_i00004.jpg

and here is the engine and boiler for maybe a cross section of the hull at the engine room. Lots and lots of parts to make. But one heck of a model of the hull section.

DSCN0915.JPG

at the rate i am going it might take a long long time to 3d model this engine in fusion360 a bit over my skill level at this point but muddling through it
each and every part is modeled separately then joined together and then printed as parts. I must say one heck of a kit to build it.

it is one thing to sit and watch you tube tutorials late at night then in the morning trying to actually do what you watched.

Dave, I feel your pain. I worked with AutoCAD professionally since Version 12 (not 2012… just 12) and when I started trying 3D modeling with AutoCAD and then Fusion 360 it seemed like a didn’t just spend 30+ years engineering and drafting. :oops:

I was using Cura V4.13.0 but the discussion led me to update to 5.7.0 this morning, in case there have been radical changes that have me talking nonsense. But I still see the same interface, which looks quite different to the screenshot of Creality. Not that any of this matters, if the Creality version just rebadges Curaa then the principles are the same.

In the 5th screenshot of the failed print, it looked like the bottom of the bookmark is not a single flat surface, and the first photo certainly suggests the same. Could that be it? Is it your stl or downloaded off the web? Another thin possibility is near invisible artefacts from cutting in the design software. As your engine build log suggests you are very familiar with CAD you'll probably know what I mean.

1712993655772.png

In the 5th screenshot of the failed print, it looked like the bottom of the bookmark is not a single flat surface, and the first photo certainly suggests the same. Could that be it? Is it your stl or downloaded off the web? Another thin possibility is near invisible artefacts from cutting in the design software. As your engine build log suggests you are very familiar with CAD you'll probably know what I mean.

the book mark was a free download after looking close at the book mark fie your right the bottom is not flat so the section that did not stick was ever so slightly off the bed. So in this case either fix the file or put in on a raft.

Dave, I feel your pain. I worked with AutoCAD professionally since Version 12 (not 2012… just 12) and when I started trying 3D modeling with AutoCAD and then Fusion 360 it seemed like a didn’t just spend 30+ years engineering and drafting. :oops:

i have been working with AutoCad for years and stick with AutoCad14 on an old computer running windows 7. if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.
i know autocad very well so doing the 2D drawing in autocad14 then save as a DXF which i bring into Fusion360.

having worked with other 3D modeling programs like Tinkercad and Sketchup i know the basic functions and all 3D modeling programs are the same in a basic way.

right now i need to set up the engine in F360 from sketch mode i need to bring each part into solid mode make a 3D model and save it as a separate piece.
sounds easy enough until you try it.

3D design and printing is the next level in model ship building, in Fusion360 you can design the engine to actually work by using a small air pump. Now this is model engineering. I can imagine an engine room model of the Indiana with a small air pump in the display base. Flip the switch and watch the piston move in a clear printed cylinder, the shaft turn and the prop rotate.
dream on and that makes you sit in front of a computer for hours on end learning a new program. OR do all the 2D cad work and hire someone to design the 3D parts then send you STL file for printing.

3D design and printing is the next level in model ship building, in Fusion360 you can design the engine to actually work by using a small air pump. Now this is model engineering. I can imagine an engine room model of the Indiana with a small air pump in the display base. Flip the switch and watch the piston move in a clear printed cylinder, the shaft turn and the prop rotate.
dream on and that makes you sit in front of a computer for hours on end learning a new program. OR do all the 2D cad work and hire someone to design the 3D parts then send you STL file for printing.
Good luck with this project. I wish you great success. However, now that I’m retired I have no interest in sitting behind a desk drafting. I would much rather be in the shipyard/woodshop tinkering on models or general woodworking. Or maybe skiing… In fact I think I’ll ski today. We still have a week or so left in the season.

i know what you are saying Ev will come in and say you have been sitting there far too long, time to get up and move.

Back