18th Century Longboat Model Expo 1:48

Having just finished my Maine Peapod, I am off to my next adventure an 18th century longboat from Model Expo. It is smaller scale than the other boats I have built. It was a birthday gift from my son and I believe a logical next build. The peapod was my first planked boat and I think it was very helpful to have done this first.

IMG_8635.jpeg

The first step is to cut a taper or rabbet along the false keel where it meets with the keel. Using a #11 chisel blade I carefully shaved a sloping groove on both sides of the false keel. Shaving about 1:32" from each side. The basswood is very fragile and I snapped the neck off one end. A little PVA glue set it back into place and there was no further problem.

IMG_8634.jpeg

To better able to fit the bulkheads to the false keel, I took a used piece of foam core board, cut a slot as long as the keel and pushed the keel into the foam core board. It holds the assembly quite well. After cleaning the laser char on each bulkhead I inserted them into the false keel. The notches had to be filed slightly on the bulkheads and the false keel for the bulkheads to fit correctly.

IMG_8640.jpeg

I then started to fair the bulkheads. Shaping them with files and sandpaper to generate a more even curve as the planking goes over them. I laid a plank over the bulkheads and noted when had to be shaved down in order to generate a curve when the planks would get the maximum amount of contact with the bulkheads.

IMG_8646.jpegIMG_8645.jpeg
a filler block which fits in front of the first bulkhead to ease transition to the front of the false keel was also shaped.

IMG_8649.jpeg

Last edited:
following your build, good explanation of your process.

It is a very interesting model and I was already thinking about to build it also - I will follow your progress with big interest

The plank on the port side of the boat set a few mm too low on the transom. Luckily I use PVA glue, so by brushing water on the joins I was able to loosen the plank along several bulkheads and re-glued it to the correct height. After allowing that to dry I placed the second row of planks. Using some 220 grit sandpaper I carefully beveled the plank along it length on the side that was to abut the previous plank. I then applied glue to the bulkheads and the plank already set into place and glued the second plank. I use a foam cradle to support the boat during this phase of construction.

IMG_8665.jpeg

I installed the third row of planks making sure to keep them tight along the preceding plank. I have cut the end of the plank at a slight diagonal to better fit the rabbet and sanded the edge of the plank diagonal to fit the preceding plank. I will probably work on the garboard plank next as suggested in the instruction and start to taper the planks.

IMG_8666.jpegIMG_8667.jpegIMG_8670.jpeg

Looks like your doing well with this kit and learning more as you go.

These small boats may look simple but some steps can be as complicated as same task on larger ships.

While I was waiting for the garboard plank to soak, I thought I would do some preliminary sanding of the planks already attached. I started with 100 grit and then went to 220. You can compare it to an earlier photo of the planking
IMG_8667.jpegIMG_8673.jpeg

The garboard plank was set to go about 1/8th inch in front of the splice of the false keel as instructed. I soaked it in hot water and then wiped it with some windex and twisted it (which is hard to see in the photo). the plank was also tapered slightly.
IMG_8672.jpeg

The plan was then held into place and allowed to dry before gluing. You can appreciate the 45 degree curve as itr bends to the stern.

IMG_8674.jpeg

Back