1880s Nile Steamboat 1:32 scale

I have so much materials left over from previous kits that I decided to scratch-build a model of an 1880 era Nile side-wheeler steamboat. I was impressed with the one in the epic film Khartoum (1966, Charleton Heston, Lawrence Olivier). In the film this is the steamboat which brings General Gordon (Heston) in 1883 to Khartoum to try and rescue the inhabitants from an insurrection. This boat is later outfitted with guns and makes an attempt to run an escape down the Nile under the guns of the rebels (which was unsuccessful).

There is not too much to go on. I could only take screen shots from the film and there are a few examples from the era of of similar boats. So, I will be building my own version, more or less similar to the one in the film, but at a smaller size.

Stay tuned!

IMG_7263.jpg

IMG_7262.jpg

IMG_7264.jpg

IMG_7268.jpg

I have so much materials left over from previous kits that I decided to scratch-build a model of an 1880 era Nile side-wheeler steamboat. I was impressed with the one in the epic film Khartoum (1966, Charleton Heston, Lawrence Olivier). In the film this is the steamboat which brings General Gordon (Heston) in 1883 to Khartoum to try and rescue the inhabitants from an insurrection. This boat is later outfitted with guns and makes an attempt to run an escape down the Nile under the guns of the rebels (which was unsuccessful).

There is not too much to go on. I could only take screen shots from the film and there are a few examples from the era of of similar boats. So, I will be building my own version, more or less similar to the one in the film, but at a smaller size.

Stay tuned!

View attachment 443004

View attachment 443005

View attachment 443006

View attachment 443007
good luck
I will keep following with great curiosity

I started out by gluing 2 pine (1" x 6") boards together. In an ideal world I would be making some sort of a plank-on-frame model, but I just don't have any proper tools to create the frames, etc. However, since this is a flat-bottom boat I decided that I could sand and file the solid wood it into a more realistic shape. After gluing, I aded some shims at the front end to create a somewhat upward-inclining deck surface. I then added planks, but not the entire surface since I will be adding some deck cabins, and am trying to preserve my limited supply of planks (I'm trying to build this with a minimum of material purchasing. We shall see if i can get away with this!). I will be adding some planks on the hull to hide the shims and also to cover some gouges, etc.. But I will probably ust plank to the waterline, unless this looks too weird.

I also planned to work off some detailed plans that I would create complete with measurements, etc.. On a previous project my measurements were slightly off and in the end I chucked the plans and ended up designing on the fly, holding up pieces of cardboard templates and figuring out my next move.

The next stage with be shaping the hull, champfering, adding curves and narrowing towards the stern.

IMG_7295.jpg

IMG_7292.jpg

IMG_7371.jpg

IMG_7375.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Peter. I'm trying to replicate as much as I can, although my boat will be a more compact version of the original. I like working at a larger scale, like 1:32 or so (all of my trams are 1:24 and my locomotives are 1:32). I have made progress to make the side wheel housings and the paddlewheels. I also used an X-acto to cut out the curved portions. It is not perfect, but I just have the knife and sanding. So it'll have to make do!! At this point I can't decide if there will be 2 levels of cabins or only one.

IMG_7265.jpg

IMG_7406.jpg

Thanks Peter. I'm trying to replicate as much as I can, although my boat will be a more compact version of the original. I like working at a larger scale, like 1:32 or so (all of my trams are 1:24 and my locomotives are 1:32). I have made progress to make the side wheel housings and the paddlewheels. I also used an X-acto to cut out the curved portions. It is not perfect, but I just have the knife and sanding. So it'll have to make do!! At this point I can't decide if there will be 2 levels of cabins or only one.

View attachment 443626

View attachment 443627
Those parts are looking very promising with nice details, Carl. With a nice color combinatie.
Regards, Peter

I put together the various components of the paddle wheel housings. The next part will be figuring out the various cabins on the main deck.Still need to do a bit of fine sanding. I hadn't realized how rough the surfaces look when photographed close-up. I also now realize that I should have built the decorative framing and window frames with 45 degree corners. It looks so clunky with everything just butting up. Of course I was so excited to add the framing that in my excitement, I didn't think this through. I will do proper framing for the rest of the build.

IMG_7411.jpg

IMG_7412.jpg

IMG_7415.jpg

Your stuff is terrific. I'm so pleased to see your work. More paddle-wheelers like you are needed in the hobby!

Your stuff is terrific. I'm so pleased to see your work. More paddle-wheelers like you are needed in the hobby!
Thanks. I do like paddlewheelers. Although I admire the sailing ship models, my shaky hands couldn't manage the rigging! I also got intrigued by paddle wheelers when in he early 80s I happened to travel on a steam-powered side wheeler boat. It was the Waverley, the last still running (at the time) ocean-going, passeneger carrying, paddle wheeler. I was mesmerized by the steam machinery, etc..
How are you doing? What are you working on??

Screen Shot 2024-04-30 at 5.07.39 PM.jpg

I made a little more progress on the Nile steamer. I more or less finished the paddle wheel housings, and built a few staircases. Using some 3/32" sheet wood, I started to work on the aft main cabin walls. This time I started to make 45° angles for the window frames, etc., The plank-cutter shears I bought a few years ago finally paid off!

IMG_7437.jpg

IMG_7438.jpg

IMG_7439.jpg

Back