1:16 scale J-class Ranger deck parts from Modeller's Workshop

I hope this is the right section for showcasing the new designs I am creating. And I hope it is acceptable to show this kind of work on this site, as most of my work is done for large-scale R/C modellers.

My current project is the development of detail parts for the deck of the J-class Ranger, in 1:16 scale. These will be available as two sets of parts on my website. In one set, you will get laser-cut plywood parts and in the other set you will have 3D-printed winches and the Dorade vents. This particular model is 106" long. The parts set includes a deck made in thin plywood over which the modeller will add planking.

I wish I could spend more time actually building my models but, by working in CAD, I can build my models vicariously through very talented builders all over the world. This particular set of parts will be going to a wonderful modeller in Texas, in the US, where there is quite a large number of large-scale R/C boat modellers.

The first picture includes the plan sheet in the background. The second picture has the background sheets removed.

Once I have developed the parts, I will add a little rendering to make things look a little nicer.

Overall-with-plans-April-13-2024.jpgOverall-April-13-2024.jpg

I hope this is the right section for showcasing the new designs I am creating. And I hope it is acceptable to show this kind of work on this site, as most of my work is done for large-scale R/C modellers.

My current project is the development of detail parts for the deck of the J-class Ranger, in 1:16 scale. These will be available as two sets of parts on my website. In one set, you will get laser-cut plywood parts and in the other set you will have 3D-printed winches and the Dorade vents. This particular model is 106" long. The parts set includes a deck made in thin plywood over which the modeller will add planking.

I wish I could spend more time actually building my models but, by working in CAD, I can build my models vicariously through very talented builders all over the world. This particular set of parts will be going to a wonderful modeller in Texas, in the US, where there is quite a large number of large-scale R/C boat modellers.

The first picture includes the plan sheet in the background. The second picture has the background sheets removed.

Once I have developed the parts, I will add a little rendering to make things look a little nicer.

View attachment 441411View attachment 441410
It's going to be huge. Over 3m long. My biggest RC model was an ACC 1:20 and that was by far the biggest thing a could accomodate in my car's trunk.
But, you know ... "Everything's big in America ..."

It's going to be huge. Over 3m long. My biggest RC model was an ACC 1:20 and that was by far the biggest thing a could accomodate in my car's trunk.
You are correct with the big size of the model - 41.20 m length is slightly more than 2,5 meter length in scale 1:16 - a beautifull "monstress"
and the mast will be even much much higher - so I guess it is more or less 4 meter height

Greetings,

My J-class designs all conform to the AMYA J-class rules and the mast has a specified height for all the boats.

Yes, they are quite large and increasing interest in R/C sailing has encouraged me to redesign them in 1:24 scale, making them considerably smaller than the 1:16 scale versions. I had thought of redesigning my entire line in an even smaller scale but these boats are too pointy and so there would be no space left for steering servos. At 1:24 scale, they are of a size that can be built in a normal workshop and moved inside a car, without needing a trailer.

I am happy people like to see my models here, thank you!

Sorry for the grab: 106'' are 265 cm. A big deal all the same.

Greetings,

My J-class designs all conform to the AMYA J-class rules and the mast has a specified height for all the boats.

Yes, they are quite large and increasing interest in R/C sailing has encouraged me to redesign them in 1:24 scale, making them considerably smaller than the 1:16 scale versions. I had thought of redesigning my entire line in an even smaller scale but these boats are too pointy and so there would be no space left for steering servos. At 1:24 scale, they are of a size that can be built in a normal workshop and moved inside a car, without needing a trailer.

I am happy people like to see my models here, thank you!
The Js' are simply magnificent. At 1:24, more than at 1:16, the entire underwater design must be reconsidered, as buoyancy, skeg and rudder dimensions couldn't be reduced by mere proportion.

1713254667487.png
Just see how long is that 1:20 ACC's fin compared to the avatar's version of the same boat perfectly scaled down. This just to get a similar righting moment with a lead bulb weighiting 1/2 on the entire displacement, instead 20 tons on 24

he entire underwater design must be reconsidered, as buoyancy, skeg and rudder dimensions couldn't be reduced by mere proportion.
Absolutely correct and this is an ongoing discussion. The AMYA J-class allows a 2-inch extension of the keel, below the "scale" dimension. In my opinion, this is not enough, as the boats are still quite tender. However, it is a class and one must conform to the rules, if one wants to play.

With my new designs, at 1:24 scale, I am still working on getting the right extension. I don't want the boats to look out of proportion, and I don't want to add external ballast, so it is a real challenge to get a good shape, while making the boat a little more stiff than the big boys.

As for external ballast, most people sail in lakes that have weeds growing along the edges. With the increase in foreign contaminants, more and more lakes are seeing considerable growth on the bottom. Because of this, I want most of my designs to be of the "weedless" variety, with a full keel that can move weeds instead of getting stuck.

Sometimes there is no choice, and we need to insert an external ballast but, in the case of these J-class shapes, one can have enough internal ballast to make them good sailors. And, if everyone conforms to a rule, the racing can be quite pleasant!

Cheers,

Rick

The design is now complete. Next is to create the laser-cutting layout and cut the parts. As you can see, I have also created the dorade vents. These will be combined with the winches to create a set of parts for 3D-printing.

I do not know how to rearrange the pictures and add comments to each picture so here are the comments:

In one picture, you can see the internal structure of the cabin. In another, you can see one of the bendy surfaces "flattened" and in the third you get a bit of an overall view of the deck.

CABIN-INTERIOR.jpg

CABIN-SIDE-FLT.jpg

FINAL.jpg

The design is now complete. Next is to create the laser-cutting layout and cut the parts. As you can see, I have also created the dorade vents. These will be combined with the winches to create a set of parts for 3D-printing.

I do not know how to rearrange the pictures and add comments to each picture so here are the comments:

In one picture, you can see the internal structure of the cabin. In another, you can see one of the bendy surfaces "flattened" and in the third you get a bit of an overall view of the deck.

View attachment 442034

View attachment 442035

View attachment 442036
Playing the game into a box rule is always the best choice, no matter how that is detrimental to models' sailing qualities. Cheers and congrats for your great job!

Back