Cross slide clamp

I have tried to find a small, cross-slide clamp to use with my Dremel drill press. I can only find massive devices that look like something Henry Ford would have built cars with.
All I want to do is position various posts, bitts etc. do that I can drill holes in the bottom to insert pins or pegs and to cut the notches that most of them seem to have near the top. Also, to drill lined-up holes along a strip to make belaying pin racks.
I have bodged up a couple of jigs.
The first one has a small clamp that will slide left/right mounted on a board that straddles the base and slides forward/back. It can be secured if necessary using the wing bolts. The first photo below shows a bitt positioned for drilling into its end. The second jig has a series of strips glued to a base and spaced to receive 3, 4, 5, or 6mm strips. These can be slid left/right to drill a sequence of holes or pushed forward under a small V router to cut a notch. The shallow wedge with a cheap ruler attached is for setting the height of the router tip. For example: if it rests at 80mm on the ruler scale it will cut a 1mm notch in a 6x6 mm strip.
cross slide.jpg Notch cutter.jpg

Hi john
I use the PROXXON KT70 with a small proxxon machine vice. Its great for doing everything you are wanting to do.

1. Two step clamps are included.
  2. Table of 200 x 70mm with 3 T-slots.
  3. Handwheels with adjustable dials (1 revolution = 1mm,
    1 division = 0.05mm).
  4. Moveable ruler eases workpiece positioning.

MICRO compound table KT 70​

Made of solid aluminium with surface treatment and fitted with adjustable dovetail gibs and three T-slots of the MICROMOT standard (12 x 6 x 5mm). Adjustable ruler eases workpiece positioning. Both handwheels have zero-resettable dials with graduations indicating 1 revolution = 1.0mm and 1 division = 0.05mm. The clamps and securing bolts for the MB 200 and TBM 220 are included.

Other technical data:
Table size 200 x 70mm. X travel 134mm and Y travel 46mm, maximum height 43mm.

NO 27 100

Yes, I looked at that. A nice piece of kit but probably a bit OTT for my humble needs. Besides, I wanted something that inluded a clamp to grip small bits from two sides thather than holding them down. My bodge has a hole under the clamp so I can drill through holes. The Proxxon device woul need to be used with with scrap wood under a drilled strip to avoid damaging the table.

This is the set up I use, it is very handy you can do most things very accurately and keep your fingers. I also bought the index chuck which i haven't used
yet. The little jig I used for drilling gun port lids.

IMG_1122.JPG

Ah! That's better. Your setup is impressive. I hadn't clocked that the table could be used in conjunction with a Proxxon clamp to get the configuration I wanted though the particular Proxxon clamp you show doesn't seem to appear in the current Proxxon catalogue. The one shown (MS 4) doesn't refer to fitting the compound table. How the table + clamp would combine with a Dremel drill press is a great unknown.
Having recently bought a Proxxon lathe, scroll saw and table saw the coffers are a bit empty.

Back