Yatch "Spray" - scale 1:35 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Excuse my English, because I am a Spanish speaker.

“Spray”
I have been a member of this forum for weeks now and I have had the pleasure of seeing the excellent models displayed here. Already "retired" and with time to spare, in recent years I have been doing naval modeling, but more than large ships, frigates or liners, I am interested in making models of medium-sized work, transport or fishing boats (but that are not commercial kits). I have already done several and if you allow me, I will present these in the following weeks; I'll start with the emblematic “Spray”. This is my first scratch boat....

You will know better than I the story of Joshua Slocum who was born in Nova Scotia in 1844 and disappeared at sea in 1909, Canadian sailor and writer, famous for being the first to circumnavigate the Earth alone, on a long voyage aboard a ship. sailboat just over 11 meters long. In 1892 a friend gave him a sloop, but not without warning him that it needed major repairs. Joshua Slocum came across an old fishing sloop, rotting in a meadow. It was the “Spray”, 11.28 meters long and lacking money, he rebuilt it personally. In 1895 he decided to sail around the world, alone. A long journey without financial resources or even the equipment that the technology of the time allowed.

General data:
Type: Yacht
Length: 11.55 m (330 mm)
Beam: 5.24 m (121 mm)
Prop: 1.40 m (40 mm)
Total Length: 20.88 m (580 mm)
Total height: 14.70 m (420 mm)
Scale: 1/35
Date: June 2020

I obtained two sets of general plans from the Internet, and with the photos, I redrawn it in Autocad, I obtained the general lines to get the false keel and frames, I printed them in PDF and sent them to be laser cut on a 3mm plywood sheet. The rest of the dimensions were obtained directly from the plans. Greater detail, references and photos of the construction phase and the finished model can be seen on my blog:

Modelismo Naval: Cap.1 "Spray" (modelismonavaljoseruesta.blogspot.com)

001a.jpg

001b.jpg

001cc.jpg

001d.jpg

001e.jpg

Spray (1).JPG

Spray (2).JPG

Spray (3).JPG

Spray (4).JPG

Spray (5).JPG

Spray (6).JPG

Spray (7).JPG

Spray (8).JPG

Spray (9).JPG

Spray (10).JPG

Spray (11).JPG

Spray (12).JPG

Spray (13).JPG

Spray (14).JPG

Spray (15).JPG

Spray (16).JPG

Spray (17).JPG

Spray (18).JPG

Spray (19).JPG

Spray (20).JPG

I like your Spay very much! Excellent and accurate modeling. nice rigging and all-over appearance. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

I am also a big fan of small vessels. While some of them don't have arms, there is a charm in the way they look.

Very nice model! I had planned years ago to build a model of the Spray but only got as far as drawing plans in 1:32 scale (first picture below). This was drawn from the lines in Captain Slocum's book "Sailing Alone Around the World." There have been a few replicas of the Spray, including one commissioned by Pete Culler in 1929. The second picture is a photo of that vessel from Culler's book "Skiffs and Schooners," which has a chapter describing its construction. There is one probable, minor error on your model. Slocum's Spray would not have had the double jibs as on the model. The confusion seems to have occurred because of changes to the rig made during his voyage. The third picture is the figure from Slocum's book showing the rig at the start of the voyage (solid lines) and the modified rig (dotted lines). Both rigs had double headsails but neither had the tacks or luffs of the two sails as close as those on the model. Fair winds!

spray 2.jpg

spray 1.jpg

spray 3.jpg

Es un barquito muy bien construido, senor! Gracias por compartirlo con nosotros. (Por Favor, perdonen mi pobre habilidad en il idioma espanol.)

Thank you so very much for sharing your wonderful love of this historic, well researched, designed and executed worthy subject. I feel personally enriched by your dedication, skill and expertise and pursuit of excellence in the creation of this splendid work of art! Okay First Place MetalGold StarGold StarGold StarGold StarGold Star

Have you read the Book Man for All Oceans by Stan Grayson an excellent story of Joshua Slocum , well worth your time if you have not as yet read it.

Back