Where do these lines go?!? (HMS Halifax, colonial schooner)

I'm building HMS Halifax (1768) in 3D, but I'm a total lubber and while the plans are gorgeous, they seem to assume I know much more about rigging a ship than I actually do (which is basically nothing). I'm inferring what I can, and looking at other people's builds, and I've even bought some books on rigging model ships, but it's all rather overwhelming so I ahve to ask: Where do I take the lines that end in arrows?!?

1690345529376.png 1690345671687.png

Usually when such lines are marked with arrows, these lines are going to any balying points on top of the deck, so any clamps, eyelets cleets or something similar.
These belaying points are usually marked on a so called belaying plan, so a deckplan with belaying points. Do you have such a belaying plan?

Usually when such lines are marked with arrows, these lines are going to any balying points on top of the deck, so any clamps, eyelets cleets or something similar.
These belaying points are usually marked on a so called belaying plan, so a deckplan with belaying points. Do you have such a belaying plan?
Ahh, here's my problem. I don't have a belaying plan. Since I'm building in 3D I haven't bought a kit and am reliant on what I can find via google. I'd happily pay for a (legitimately sourced) digital copy of detailed plans that would come in a kit, but I've yet to find any publisher that provides them. Do you know of a place?

If all else fails not having a belay plan such rigging line designations mean to belay to the nearest belay point in a straight line from the arrow without any interference by other lines or parts. Thus from the point of the arrow pull the rigging line straight and taught and see where it crosses a belay point…you may need to thread the line between other lines as long as there is no entanglement of lines. Hope this helps a bit…

I agree this is a predicament. Most of the time on plans (especially kits) the arrows would have a circle or square with a number inside assigned to the arrow. Then like the others mentioned, the belaying plan would have a mass of numbers where that line goes.
So, it seems that you have Lines (arrows) for the Yard Lifts, Leech Lines, Bunt lines, Sheet lines, etc. Most all the Yard Lifts and Sling (part of the Yard lifts) are going to tie off at the BASE of each Mast. Hince on a mast that has three yards, you would or could have 2 lines for lower, 2 lines for mid, and 1 line for upper and these 5 would all tie off at the base of each Mast. Now, also in some or most cases, you will have a PULLEY mounted on the deck at the FOOT of the Mast and those lines would pass there as well.
Most all running rigging (or sail management) will be belayed or tied off of belaying pins (RACK) located on each side (port and starboard) corresponding to that mast (sails only). The process just repeats itself for the other mast.
I know my answer probably does not help, but I am talking in general terms. IMAGE is RUNNING Rigging only.

RunningRiggingSchematic.jpg

I'm building HMS Halifax (1768) in 3D, but I'm a total lubber and while the plans are gorgeous, they seem to assume I know much more about rigging a ship than I actually do (which is basically nothing). I'm inferring what I can, and looking at other people's builds, and I've even bought some books on rigging model ships, but it's all rather overwhelming so I ahve to ask: Where do I take the lines that end in arrows?!?

View attachment 386734 View attachment 386735
The lines you indicate on the bowsprit/jibboom are the downhauls for the jibs and forestaysail, and they would lead to cleats at the heel of the bowsprit or the cap rail just beside the bowsprit. The ones on the topsail are the clew/sheet for the topsail itself, the halyards for the jib and forestaysail and the jack line for the main stay. The halyards might be lead to cleats on the fore shrouds, but all the rest must lead to cleats at the base of the foremast. If you can get a copy of Harold Hahn's Colonial Schooner you will see illustrations of this. Not circled in this drawing but involved in the same area are the falls from the topsail lifts the the main topsail braces. For my Colonial schooner Earl of Egmont I had the benefit of bitts you don't have. Good luck. It may be bewildering at first, but you will find the work satisfying when done. IMG_0976.JPG

Rigging Period Ship Models; Rigging Period Fore and Aft craft: Lennarth Petersson
Seaman ship- John Harland
Eighteenth Century Rigs and Rigging- Karl H. Marquart
Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860-James Lees
the Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor-Darcy Lever (Dover Press)

Most, or all, of what you need you will find in these books in some form or other.
(I wish this program would let me spell "anchor" and/or other cherce woids, when I want to instead of inserting an icon for me . I'd rather choose to do that for myself, thank you very much! Too clever by half. )

Hope this helps, Pete

Last edited:
I just completed that model myself, took me 4 winters to complete. I Have the drawings at home which includes the rigging. I am presently at the cottage, however once I return home I will take a picture of the drawings and forward them to you. They are large drawings, 3 ft x 3 ft. I just hope they will come out ok

Michel

IMG_1074.jpeg

As I indicated earlier, I am forwarding to you the rigging drawings I used to build the Halifax Schooner 1768, Hope this will help

Michel

Attachments

• IMG_1217a.pdf
    883.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1218a.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Thank you all, lots of very helpful advice! Thanks especially for the drawings Michel, and I love how your model turned out. Beautiful stuff.

Back