What's next?

Having finished my Bluenose (plank-on-frame, YQ) a couple of months ago, I find myself looking for another modeling project. Currently in the hangar is a Roden Fokker DVII, but other than that there's no follow up.
Countless opportunities offer themselves, but there's very little catching my interest. O yes, there's a multitude of shipmodels available, but I have an interest in planes as well.
Where ships are concerned, I mentioned quite some time ago I would join the HCSA (Half-Cut Saw Association) by (again) building a Bluenose, once I successfully completed the build of the YQ-model. Well, I think I managed the latter, but I'm most definitely not committed to another Bluenose build.
Other ships of interest to me were a model of an old steam-powered harbor tug or a model of the RD26, a Zuiderzee fishing-vessel, supposedly owned by my great grandfather. Both would be a scratch build, provided I could obtain a set of drawings to start with. Also considered was a model of a fluyt, but still not the necessary spark. That's when I turned to look at planes. I also mentioned once that I was interested in building a skeleton model of a Mustang P51. This model was offered by a Japanese firm, but is no longer available. In that same category, a Chinese firm showed a short clip on Facebook of a skeleton model of a Corsair F4U, which was (and probably still is) under development.
This all resulted in an impasse of not knowing which direction to take. I will not bore you with all my contemplations and considerations, but instead I will share my current ideas.
On my Bluenose model I did quite a few customizations, also using different materials: wood, plastics, metallics, etc. So, if a kit is not available, why not opt for a scratch build aircraft model? And then, which model?
After some looking around and considering a few aircraft like the Fokker Spin (suggest by the Admiral), the Fokker G1, the Fokker F.XX and also the Boeing model 314 Clipper, I am now leaning towards the Boeing model 314. Of this aircraft only 12 were build and were used by amongst others Panam. It was a 4 engined flying boat, so there's this association with the high seas and it is also a very impressive looking aircraft.
Right now I am searching for drawings. Although general arrangement drawings are available, I want to add some structure to a possible build as well, like frames, stringers, spars, ribs, etc, plus some interior. I may have a lead; the PanAm Historical Foundation may have a contact, who recently built a model of the Clipper and may be able to help me out with drawings and hopefully some pictures of the build of the clipper.
For now, if I'm able to get this information, I plan on a 1:72 scale, resulting in a fuselage length, slightly smaller than the OAL of the Bluenose.
With quite some uncertainties about, I am still not committed to this build, although I probably will have to run some experiments on which materials to use.

IMG_0411.jpeg

Close to a month ago I shared my thoughts on a new build and now I can tell y'all I have finally made some progress; first of all, I will be starting a scratch build Fokker Spin, scale 1:48. I was able to purchase some drawings, with an associated article. The Spin-version, as there were more versions build, has not been decided yet, but now I am leaning towards the Spin III. There is still some homework to be made, since the available drawings are rather good, but still leaves a couple of questions unanswered. A few important ones are the angle of attack of the wing and the on one of the drawings indicated tapering of the wing. The latter is rather strange, since the wing chord doesn't change nor the wing camber.

I also mentioned the Boeing model 314. I have not been able to get more information on this aircraft, my initial leads all turned dry, so I am basically left to my own devices. I still intend to build this model, but only after first completing my Fokker Spin.

(Source: https://www.fokker-history.com/fokker-geografie)
IMG_0435.jpeg
https://www.fokker-history.com/fokker-geografie

Last edited:
Interesting project to build such a pioneer of aircrafts
Question: is 1:48 not relatively small - I guess the spin had only 10 or 12m span, so the model will be only 20 or 25cm .......

Close to a month ago I shared my thoughts on a new build and now I can tell y'all I have finally made some progress; first of all, I will be starting a scratch build Fokker Spin, scale 1:48. I was able to purchase some drawings, with an associated article. The Spin-version, as there were more versions build, has not been decided yet, but now I am leaning towards the Spin III. There is still some homework to be made, since the available drawings are rather good, but still leaves a couple of questions unanswered. A few important ones are the angle of attack of the wing and the on one of the drawings indicated tapering of the wing. The latter is rather strange, since the wing chord doesn't change nor the wing camber.

I also mentioned the Boeing model 314. I have not been able to get more information on this aircraft, my initial leads all turned dry, so I am basically left to my own devices. I still intend to build this model, but only after first completing my Fokker Spin.

(Source: https://www.fokker-history.com/fokker-geografie)
View attachment 434827
https://www.fokker-history.com/fokker-geografie
Hi Johan. I missed the starting of your new building thread, but now I am in to follow your build of the icon of the Dutch aeronautical history.
I sat my chair!
Regards, Peter

Interesting project to build such a pioneer of aircrafts
Question: is 1:48 not relatively small - I guess the spin had only 10 or 12m span, so the model will be only 20 or 25cm .......
Correct, it is, but I don't want to end up with a massive model for which I don't have the room to display properly.
I have seen a kit in 1:72, that's definitely too small, but going to 1:32 or even 1:16 is getting too large for my taste.

Back