What is this part/function of the deck called?

I have done an exhaustive google search and I want to find out what this part of the ship is. I am working on the Bluenose II. I have seen these on other ships and they appear to be to drain water from the deck. Eventually, I want my ship to be realistic and it sems they may need to be drilled out, but I am not sure how many of them are needed.

Bluenose-II-frameh.jpg

screen-shot-2021-07-13-at-11.38.36-am.png

deck-of-the-bluenose-ii-lunenburg-nova-scotia-canada-BFER37.jpg

The things marked "i" on the deck is a ventilation funnel. They were used in the days before motor powered fans blew air below deck for cooling. When the ship is moving, air is forced down the funnel below deck. The small house with a door which leads down below deck is a booby hatch. Yes, it's a funny name and landlubber chuckle when I say it, but that's what it's called in English. For draining the deck of water, there are tubes along the bulwark leading from the deck down and out the side of the ship. These are called scuppers.

The plan sheets for your model should show the scuppers…how many and where they are placed. Look closely and let us know if you find them…

If you look at the profile photo there are slots between the frames at the deck line, these at as scuppers. Looks like nine of them.

The tall, free standing vents on the deck can also be referred to as cowl vents. Some may have a water trap and drains at their base — to prevent spray that blows into the vent from going down below.

Scuppers at the deck edge on metal hull sailing ships can have hinged covers. They may be referred to as freeing ports. Noisy when ships were rolling hard and taking solid water on deck. That use isn’t seen on modern vessels (that I know of).

Just make sure to scale the size of the scupper correctly. They are not large, and modeler's occasionally make them so large if the pursuit of detail that a crew member might fall overboard through one of them. Scuppers on vessels I have sailed are only 5" in diameter. On a small model, you could simulate the leather covers with something as small as a tiny length of brown plastic coated electrical wire hanging down the side of the hull.

I looked and looked. No scuppers in the plan. I saw the scuppers in the real Bluenose and other similar ships.
The Billings B600 Bluenose II I bet. Scuppers are only one of the omissions they make in their minimalist instructions. (I'm working on the same kit.)

Last edited:
Hi Crawford.
When I ‘googled’ “Bluenose scuppers” I got many many pictures. A lot with different interpretations on different models, but also a lot of the real BN-II. Like this one:
4E582E34-828A-4F13-9A0B-97F56BA0B4CA.jpeg
On the lower fore-deck, there are 16 scuppers. On the higher aft-deck, when I have counted well, 28. They are between the bulkheads and just above the deck.
Regards, Peter

Back