What is this detail?

Hello dear colleagues. I'm a beginner modeller, I've only been building wooden ship models for about 4 years (when I have time) and I want to ask you WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS PART ON THE SHIP?

04447v.jpg

flat bottom​

A flat bottom is a ship – the name says it all – with a flat bottom. Instead of having a keel under the boat for stability and manoeuvrability, these ships have side boards.

The side boards of this type of ship are the large wing like wooden plates. These are necessary in order to manoeuvre the ship.

These ships were specially built for the shallow Dutch rivers, moorlands, the ‘Zuiderzee’ and the North Sea. They benefited greatly from this because of the lack of depth. Without a keel they could reach very shallow places, sail with more cargo and sail with the tides.

A number of traditional flat-bottomed ships during a sailing regatta on the Wadden Sea

Flat-bottomed boats also had many advantages for fishermen in the Wadden area. They could fall dry on sandbanks at low tide and come loose again as soon as the water rises. Something that is impossible with a keel.

There are many different types of flat bottoms. But roughly speaking, you can distinguish them in flat-bottomed vessels made to carry cargo and passengers and vessels built and used for fishing. For a long time the ships were used everywhere in the Netherlands as the most common, manoeuvrable and fastest transport. Each region had its own models, types and ‘famous’ shipyards.

taken from

Interesting also:

This forum is very good because there are people here who can help. Just look at the situation in the small state of Lithuania:
THE SITUATION IS SUCH THAT THE FIRST PAGE IS STILL PUBLISHING INFORMATION ABOUT THE 2019 MODEL COMPETITION.
I enjoy communicating with ship modelers.

zvtre.jpg

zvtre.jpg

Actually, they have no effect on stability, given by the hull shape.
leeboards prevent drift to leeward as there is no sharp keel.
when you tack, you raise the one that was on the lee side, and lower the other one

exactly - actually they serve the same purpose as a centreboard on a sailing dinghy - without them a flat-bottomed vessel would drift about with no forward movement - with no forward movement the rudder has no steering effect. Ships with fine lines and a keel protruding below the hull body manage quite well without a centreboard or leeboard.

Ditto, lee boards are a dagger board, center board or modern keel, device to allow the vessel to sail, with minimal drift to lee. Deployed on the leeward side, in a run not needed as there no side directional shift.

Ditto, lee boards are a dagger board, center board or modern keel, device to allow the vessel to sail, with minimal drift to lee. Deployed on the leeward side, in a run not needed as there no side directional shift.

I wish the spellings in UK English could be rationalised - I guess only national pride and the Oxbridge establishment prevents us from doing so. Center for centre. Tonite for tonight. etc. I lived in Turkey for years and the founder of modern Turkey after the end of the Ottomans decreed that the written language (langwidge?) would no longer be Arabic script but would use the Western alphabet. The scholars took the opportunity to spell words phonetically so that in theory anyone could spell just by knowing the correct pronunciation of any word.

Hello dear colleagues. I'm a beginner modeller, I've only been building wooden ship models for about 4 years (when I have time) and I want to ask you WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS PART ON THE SHIP?
Hallo @Algirdas
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back