What is the biggest and most difficult model ship to build?

The biggest ship I know of is Noah's Ark in Genesis 6-9. Based on the Biblical data, one was built in Williamstown, Kentucky. It is 510 feet long (only 90 feet shy of two football fields), 85 feet wide, and 51 feet long! Their website is arkencounter.com

Hello again This is the hardest boat I have ever done. It is based on the blueprints in the Billing Boats kit, but most of the parts were made by me. It is the Canadian ship Saint Roch, which at the hand of Commander Larssen, made the Northwest passage in both directions The main difficulty was getting information about the actual ship on display at the Vancouver museum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Roch_(ship)
I just built a similar model just based on photos and blueprints. If I can figure it out, I'll post some pictures here. Congratulations for your work.

Thank you Eloi for your words.
I'm not saying it's the most difficult to do, but for me, it has been.
There are many ships more complex than this, of course.
I haven't seen your St Roch, I can't judge on it
Cheers and thank you again

a typical fishing trawler, which took over -at least in Denmark, the wooden fishing cutter- which most of them went to scrach- help grom ue- to reduce the fishing fleet.
From 1950 to about 1982, there were in Denmark 3 wooden cutters according to its seize_ Havmaagen the about 15 tons, my uncle's cutters were all about 20 ton-als well the Krabben cutter and the last one was about 30 tons- Mary Ann. Then the Government together with the EU gave a very good offer, to those who would give up fishing. my uncles sold theirs -between 55-65 years old. Only HG 20 Anita was saved, but without an engine and was sold to a children's park, which some changes. You could try the wheelhouse, and depending on the program elected, the wheelhouse would move as at the sea. more than one has been terribly seasick

Let me add one more thought on the question of difficulty. There are two sides to this. First, it is defined in the perception and experience of the modeler. A beginner modeler may find an otherwise simple ship kit “difficult” since they have no skills or experience yet. So, experience, skill, patience for details, even the right tools each define the concept of difficult. The other side is the decorative demands of the kit given the historical era can define difficult due to the level of fine detail. The greater the decorative details required can define the difficulty level. An example would be the difference in the level of difficulty between the ornate decorative details of the 1577 HMS Revenge race built galleon and the rather plain HMS Surprise of 1796.
I also agree and might I add some additional items I have found to affect the "degree of difficulty?" The model's instructions, quality of any included plans and historical accuracy can greatly affect the difficulty of a model regardless of the experience and/or skill of the potential builder. See my previous posts about the Corel WASA... .

1. The Victory scratch built at 1/48.
2. You have the best and most complete data set ever available, the entire ship in harbor.
3. Build it as is with every plank, yard, sail and fastener; only about a million individual parts.
4. This will, IMHO, handle your request for the most complete and difficult.

1. The Victory scratch built at 1/48.
2. You have the best and most complete data set ever available, the entire ship in harbor.
3. Build it as is with every plank, yard, sail and fastener; only about a million individual parts.
4. This will, IMHO, handle your request for the most complete and difficult.
The biggest problem with the Victory is the decision, in which time period you want to show her?
She was so often refitted, so often wrong and also correct restaurated, that it is hard to make a fully correct version.
I followed a little bit @dafi s research - so complicated

This is a small comparison of a section of the HMS Victory to make it clear - Daniels "Schnittchen"

f93t7625p179145n67_QAFhalBU.jpg

Maybe you are correct - A Victory is very complicated and there will be a lot of discussions ;)

This is a hard question to answer because “big” and “difficult” may not necessarily complement each other. In the average ship kit world bigger models, defined as larger scales, are often easier to build. To take a stab at your question from the average kit world perspective, kits in the 1/48, or quarter scale, range that are highly detailed may begin to fit your interest. These kits usually stand out because of the cost range…that is, north of $1500 dollars. A difficulty factor is added by kits using plank on frame full rib construction rather than plank on bulkhead. Then again, I have seen kits in the 1/300 scale range making them very small but with a very high difficulty factor. So if you are looking for big and difficult look for kits that cost over $1000. For example, the ZHL kit of the USS Bonhomme Richard is scale 1/48 and 58” long, 20” wide, 44” tall, and costs $1500.
This is a hard question to answer because “big” and “difficult” may not necessarily complement each other. In the average ship kit world bigger models, defined as larger scales, are often easier to build. To take a stab at your question from the average kit world perspective, kits in the 1/48, or quarter scale, range that are highly detailed may begin to fit your interest. These kits usually stand out because of the cost range…that is, north of $1500 dollars. A difficulty factor is added by kits using plank on frame full rib construction rather than plank on bulkhead. Then again, I have seen kits in the 1/300 scale range making them very small but with a very high difficulty factor. So if you are looking for big and difficult look for kits that cost over $1000. For example, the ZHL kit of the USS Bonhomme Richard is scale 1/48 and 58” long, 20” wide, 44” tall, and costs $1500.
Looking up some web images of ZHL kit of the USS Bonhomme Richard: If I had spent >$1K on a kit I would try to get the deadeyes lined up!

The biggest problem with the Victory is the decision, in which time period you want to show her?
She was so often refitted, so often wrong and also correct restaurated, that it is hard to make a fully correct version.
I followed a little bit @dafi s research - so complicated

This is a small comparison of a section of the HMS Victory to make it clear - Daniels "Schnittchen"

View attachment 372757

Maybe you are correct - A Victory is very complicated and there will be a lot of discussions ;)
As I have mentioned here, the builder is the captain and master of the build -he can and many times takes his own decision- others may have another thing about the build if a builder asks for help etc (before he/she starts- here we may try to help to respect that -even we may not agree-. here there, maybe some discussion.
I WILL ALWAYS RESPECT THE THE - EVEN WITH SOEME MISTAKE - AS I KNOW BY HEART, THE BIG WORK AND EFFORT THERE HAS BEEN DONE

My two cents.....

The biggest is not the most difficult. Larger scales make the process easier.Yes you end up adding more detail but this only goes so far.

Small scales makes things much harder if you are to maintain scale fidelity. 1/192 fully framed model of a three decker from scratch will challenge EVERYONE.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I would say the biggest, regardless of size, is the mental space occupied by designing a project from start to finish. And then, making every single component from scratch.

My two cents.....

The biggest is not the most difficult. Larger scales make the process easier.Yes you end up adding more detail but this only goes so far.

Small scales makes things much harder if you are to maintain scale fidelity. 1/192 fully framed model of a three decker from scratch will challenge EVERYONE.

Kind Regards

Nigel
that's the thing. As the scale comes smaller, even threading the ropes through the blocks becomes a chore and a half. I personally have stopped making models where the scale is too small to handle. The Brig Syren is about as small as I would go and I found it extremely challenging; even more than the Mirage.

that's the thing. As the scale comes smaller, even threading the ropes through the blocks becomes a chore and a half. I personally have stopped making models where the scale is too small to handle. The Brig Syren is about as small as I would go and I found it extremely challenging; even more than the Mirage.
fully agree

I think this model could be the winner of this topic

Back