Was this made just for fun

IMG_4023.jpegIMG_4020.jpegIMG_4019.jpegIMG_4018.jpegIMG_4024.jpegIMG_1148.jpegIMG_4026.jpegHi I have a large half side section of a wooden ship model, 762mm long x 453mm high, made mainly from oak with the deck planking a redder wood, it was found in a house clearance so no history with it, items like the capstan, mast and gratings have been placed inwards of the centre line, making it look toy like, but the construction of the hull looks purposeful, any ideas
jeffIMG_4023.jpegIMG_4023.jpegIMG_4020.jpegIMG_4023.jpegIMG_4020.jpegIMG_4019.jpegIMG_4018.jpegIMG_4024.jpegIMG_1148.jpegIMG_4026.jpeg

Whoever made it did a good job. With a few interior features (cannon, barrels, ropes etc) it could really be brought to life. However (and it might just be me), that mast being positioned where it is would really bug me and have to go.

First of all welcome to the active part of the members
Second: a great find - and highly interesting - first of all I thought, that it is a traing section for educational purposes, but there are some historical or technical errors build - like Graham mentioned already the mast, but also the capstan not in the center of the ship above the keel, maybe the gunports are small etc. - but from the carpenters work it is very very good made.
Maybe it was like a toy house for girls, but this is a pirate ship for boys - definitely a great build model and worth to keep or maybe restore.
BTW: the ship model in front is very good build and also highly interesting
would be great to learn about both models

items like the capstan, mast and gratings have been placed inwards of the centre line, making it look toy like, but the construction of the hull looks purposeful, any ideas
Brother Warspoils:
Very cool! Looks like the mast is stepped on the keelson, as appropriate. Folks with more expertise than me should weigh in, but I believe that some larger vessels had paired capstans port and starboard, which could be what is represented here. Thanks for posting!

What would be an interesting project is to build in details…it is a large scale section model and one could go crazy with diorama like details. I wouldn’t get too hung up over mast and capstan placement.

Thanks Jim, I suppose if I could get some idea of scale, it would make it easier to make the fittings, the ship pictured in front is 1/48th scale, anyone willing to take a guess on the hull
regards Jeff

Back