warship launching

Were warships larger than a frigate launched with their cannon aboard or were they outfitted once off the slip?

I suspect that is true, but, I could not find anything definite to that point on line. It would be nice if it could be confirmed?

When the ships hull was finished and closed - the ship was launched in order to make the dry dock free for the next order.
The masts, most deck fittings were fitted afterwards "swimming" - only the necessary things were installed (anchor (one) capstan, boat etc.)
Also the complete armament was supplied and installed later on - definitely usually not on the slipyard / drydock

The ships got the armament later on in the Zeughaus ( I do not know the correct english term - I think "arsenal", but) - and they used for lifting already there own masts and yrads together with the ship owned capstan (and rigging)

Here no difference was between frigates or ships of the line

some contemporary models showing the status for launching

l2414_001.jpg

l2449_003.jpg

f5828_002.jpg

f5827_002.jpg

all these models are not showing any gun or armament

Because of this usually there was often between the year of launching one or even more years until the ships were commissioned

PS: I think also, that they did not get the armament in the dockyard where the ship was build

The Royal Dockyard
l2184_001.jpg

Hi!
Battle ships were launched without masts nor guns. Here is a painting by Vernet (one of the best marine painters ever) of a launch ans some links

There is a short Wikipedia article about masting sheers in English, the French version shows more pictures.
vernet-lancement-navire-de-guerre.jpg

The old British warships had specific wharfs for fitting and arming weapons post-build and refit, hence the name 'Gunwharf'.

When the ships hull was finished and closed - the ship was launched in order to make the dry dock free for the next order.
The masts, most deck fittings were fitted afterwards "swimming" - only the necessary things were installed (anchor (one) capstan, boat etc.)
Also the complete armament was supplied and installed later on - definitely usually not on the slipyard / drydock

The ships got the armament later on in the Zeughaus ( I do not know the correct english term - I think "arsenal", but) - and they used for lifting already there own masts and yrads together with the ship owned capstan (and rigging)

Here no difference was between frigates or ships of the line

some contemporary models showing the status for launching

View attachment 368743

View attachment 368744

View attachment 368745

View attachment 368746

all these models are not showing any gun or armament

Because of this usually there was often between the year of launching one or even more years until the ships were commissioned

PS: I think also, that they did not get the armament in the dockyard where the ship was build

The Royal Dockyard
View attachment 368747

Ist das Zeughaus das Spielzeughaus?;)

Last edited:
Here is a photo I found online of the feared Bismarck, when launched not much above the hull is seen, and not much internal equipment had been installed from articles read. It took over a year from launch to first sea trial.

bismarck_birth_place_04.jpg

The launch of a mighty ship is a true sceptical, I was lucky to witness the launch of the P&O liner Canberra in 1960 ( the last great liner to be built by Harland and Wolf and on a slipway close to where the SS Titanic was launched). My uncle was a crane driver for H&W and took me and my dad to watch as a birthday present for me. We watched from the cab of his crane some eighty foot up. I remember being more frightened by the ladder climb between uncle and dad more than I do about the launch, it was my fourth birthday. No health and safety laws in those days !

BUILDING_CANBERRA.jpg
Cheers JJ

This is a very impressive painting showing the launch of the 'Venerable', 74 guns, at Blackwall, 19 April 1784 - Interesting also to see several other vessels under construction
The gunports are open, but no armament is visible

bhc1869.jpg
The received title of this oil painting is the 'Launch of HMS Venerable at Blackwall'. The picture shows John Perry's (later Green's) yard at Blackwall on the north bank of the Thames, below Greenwich. 1784 was probably its greatest year under Perry when he had three 74-gun ships (two-deckers) and two 44s for the Navy on the stocks as well as an East Indiaman and a West Indiaman (possibly the vessel on the far right).

HMSBuckingham.jpg

Buckingham on the stocks at Deptford
A ship is ready for launching, on the stocks just upstream from the main storehouse of the Royal Dockyard, Deptford. The third-rate 'Buckingham' was launched from Deptford in 1751, the year before this painting was made, and so it is generally accepted that she is the vessel shown. The flags that she is flying indicate that she is about to be launched: the Lord High Admiral's flag, the Royal Standard, the Union flag and jack and the red ensign. The beginnings of the framing of another ship can be seen on the building slip beyond. The composition of the painting is strong, demonstrating the position of the ship on the stocks, the River Thames to the left and the buildings of Deptford yard, including the Master Shipwright's house on the far left. The last-named was built in 1708 and also visible to the right are the dockyard offices built around 1710. Deptford was significant as a centre of maritime and naval activity, and this painting has shown the dockyard with buildings and piles of timber in the foreground. The scene is one of calm. A couple in the foreground to the left are being rowed to take a closer look at the 'Buckingham', an elegant group of visitors has been placed on the quay in the foreground, and the main movement in the painting is provided by some horses pulling a cart, visible on the quay to the left. It has been suggested that the stocky figure sketching the scene with his back to the viewer, on the corner of the river wall in the centre foreground, may be Cleveley himself. His main career was that of a shipwright in the Deptford yard, painting being his secondary occupation

Preparing the "Today in History" post of today I came across and found one contemporary drawing, which shows and make clear another reason, why the ships had no armament etc. on board during their launch.

Often the shipyards were located at rivers, which have a limited depth, so ships had to have a small depth not to touch the ground

a contemporary drawing showing the launching arrangements

j2267.jpg

HMS Spencer (1800)

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the launching arrangements at Buckler's Hard, Beaulie, for Spencer (1800), a 74-gun, two-decker.
The reverse has the measurements of the Spencer comparing the contract to the 'as built' dimensions.

Screenshot 2023-05-10 103026.png Screenshot 2023-05-10 103105.png

a nice model of the old shipyard in the local museum

Bucklers-Hard-Model-1.jpg

f.e. the well known Nelsons HMS Agamemnon was also launched there

Back