Warped kit parts

I hve a USS Confederacy kit I want to start. The bulkhead former parts(2) are slightly warped. What's the best way to straighten them?

You could soak the parts in water, then put them under a heavy weight to straighten them out.
I had that thought but wanted to check with more expoerienced modelers. I'll use warm water, immetrse the parts, count to ten, remove tgen press under weights overnight. Maybe that would help. I really do not want to bother Model Shipways about this until I try this.

I had that thought but wanted to check with more expoerienced modelers. I'll use warm water, immetrse the parts, count to ten, remove tgen press under weights overnight. Maybe that would help. I really do not want to bother Model Shipways about this until I try this.
I had several long deck pieces on my sternwheeler that were warped. I filled an old Windex spray bottle with hot water, liberally sprayed the pieces and placed them between two old 24 inch book shelves. I used a dozen books for weights and left the setup overnight.

I had several long deck pieces on my sternwheeler that were warped. I filled an old Windex spray bottle with hot water, liberally sprayed the pieces and placed them between two old 24 inch book shelves. I used a dozen books for weights and left the setup overnight.
Warm water bath and press firmly between books. I havd about 500 or so in my library.

I did the soak and press. I am reluctant to siak again for fear the laminate will glue so I guess it is time to contact Mocdel Shipways.

Oh ok, yes, the Bulkheads in this case is "plywood" and you are concerned that the "layers" will come separated. I think M.E. has a web page on their site that you can order replacement parts. They are good about doing that.

I think Ply is a little more tricky to bend, as it is not a solid wood. However, it can be done. Instead of just pressing flat, I have run very hot water over the part and then placed the part in a "counter" or opposite bend and let it dry that way, then when it flexes back, it sometimes will flex back to its desired shape. The counter bend does not have to be that much. It can be anything.

f.e. take a small stick that is maybe 1/8 inch square by about 8 inches long and while the ply is wet, lay that Bulkhead on top of the stick and put a weight on EACH side of the Bulkhead as to cause the BH to bend (of course in the opposite direction). Let it set for a little while and even BEFORE it dries release the tension and see if it is straight. If not put back on stick again. It might take a few times to doing this.

Then again - you can do this maybe while waiting for your new parts. Just an idea for you to try. Also, if you are impatient like I can be, take a hairdryer to it when its wet - ;)

If all else fails, you could consider building the frames, then cutting them and making splints to realign the bulkheads. I have done this sucessfully in the past, I recommend pursuing a solution, maybe replacement parts from model shipways first though.

I have never had any luck with warped plywood. Why not trace and make a new bulkhead? I don't have enough patience to wait for the delivery of the new part. :=(

Moisture, Heat and pressure are the three elements that you need to correct warped wood of any type. It's amazing how you can take a piece that looks like a pretzel and make it as straight as an arrow. Once the warp is corrected you will need adequate adhesion to structural anchors in order to keep it in the shape and place originally intended. The concern is that the warp was caused by an issue within the wood part. Will it return after you have glued it in place? Often, yes. I am unfamiliar with the normal structural stresses and tolerances for a static display ship. I come from 40 years of building and repairing radio controlled airplanes where accurate shape and structural integrity are essential for a safe, successful and pleasurable flying machine. Post build, moisture and heat are the killers. Leave a plane in a car on a muggy hot day and it will be nearly unflyable next time in the air. In my hobby I'm usually taking a flat or straight piece of wood and warping it to sheathe a structure or create a specific contour. I have had good success using rubbing alcohol for moisture, particularly with various densities of balsa. Water works fine too. That said, I would never use a repaired piece of warped wood where the plan requires a straight or precise shape. Leave the warp in and use it for hidden bracing. Order the new part. Best wishes.

I hve a USS Confederacy kit I want to start. The bulkhead former parts(2) are slightly warped. What's the best way to straighten them?
I have a warp in the wheelhouse deck of my Billings Boat St. Roch but I'm hoping that 2 part epoxy and some clamping will overcome the pressures of the warp as the whole structure is built and ready to install. I tried the hot water and weights method to no avail.

I have a warp in the wheelhouse deck of my Billings Boat St. Roch but I'm hoping that 2 part epoxy and some clamping will overcome the pressures of the warp as the whole structure is built and ready to install. I tried the hot water and weights method to no avail.
I also tried hot water and weights, It didn't work. I sent a request to Model Shipwayts explaining my problem and noting the warpd woog was a reddish color not like the other wood. When I buy a kit I allow it to 'rest' at least a month si it is acclimated to my house. Don't know if that has any effect.

Oh ok, yes, the Bulkheads in this case is "plywood" and you are concerned that the "layers" will come separated. I think M.E. has a web page on their site that you can order replacement parts. They are good about doing that.

I think Ply is a little more tricky to bend, as it is not a solid wood. However, it can be done. Instead of just pressing flat, I have run very hot water over the part and then placed the part in a "counter" or opposite bend and let it dry that way, then when it flexes back, it sometimes will flex back to its desired shape. The counter bend does not have to be that much. It can be anything.

f.e. take a small stick that is maybe 1/8 inch square by about 8 inches long and while the ply is wet, lay that Bulkhead on top of the stick and put a weight on EACH side of the Bulkhead as to cause the BH to bend (of course in the opposite direction). Let it set for a little while and even BEFORE it dries release the tension and see if it is straight. If not put back on stick again. It might take a few times to doing this.

Then again - you can do this maybe while waiting for your new parts. Just an idea for you to try. Also, if you are impatient like I can be, take a hairdryer to it when its wet - ;)
After ywo attempts at warm water soak and weights I sent a request for replacement parts to Mocdel Shipways explaining my problem and noting the warped part was reddish in color and not like theother parts. Wonder if the wood could be the problem.

Interesting. I have never heard of letting a kit acclimating like that.

After ywo attempts at warm water soak and weights I sent a request for replacement parts to Mocdel Shipways explaining my problem and noting the warped part was reddish in color and not like theother parts. Wonder if the wood could be the problem.
Interesting. I have never heard of letting a kit acclimating like that.
I do not know if it makes any difference but here's what I think.I'm no wood expert. Wood accepts/loses moisture. This can influence shape. Florida is not Minnesota. I keep the house about 40% because of my arthritis. Maybe its a psychological thing for me.

Back