Vacuum cleaner for small work with low power consumption

With the prices for energy in the Netherlands skyrocketing, the loud sound of the vacuum cleaner when I'm milling, sanding or drilling. I got the idea to make a low consumption vacuum cleaner with a not too high suction power. For small work at the table with the hand drill or hand sander. It had to have reasonable suction power and not make too much noise.
I still had a small industrial fan lying around and on Markplaats I found a small barrel with lid for 7 euros in a village down the road. Ordered a few things from Aliexpres (they have yet to arrive) and got some at the local hardware store. Total spent 41 Euro.
First I made a design of how I attach the motor to the lid, measured a bit and then made a printable drawing.
IMG_3656.JPG
IMG_3657.JPG
IMG_3658.JPG

I need to cut these circles out of the wood, for which I made a jig for the bandsaw. I don't think this one needs any explanation otherwise this is a nice video of how it works.

Mine looks like this, just a nail in the plate to turn the wood around

IMG_3659.JPGIMG_3660.JPGIMG_3661.JPGIMG_3662.JPGIMG_3663.JPGIMG_3664.JPGIMG_3665.JPG

After that I forgot to take a few photo's from the proces to the next stage. But it was nothing else then gluing the paper cutouts on the wooden circles and cut out the middle and drill some holes. I put everything together and use some hot glue to seal it.

IMG_3666.JPGIMG_3667.JPGIMG_3668.JPGIMG_3669.JPGIMG_3670.JPG

The next thing was to make a inlet on the side of the barrel.
First measuring the circle

IMG_3671.JPG

Then make a inlet. I did this by gluing 10 pieces of wood with a hole together

IMG_3672.JPGIMG_3673.JPGIMG_3674.JPGIMG_3675.JPGIMG_3676.JPGIMG_3677.JPGIMG_3678.JPGIMG_3679.JPGIMG_3680.JPG

See next post

Then I cut out a square

IMG_3681.JPG
IMG_3682.JPG
IMG_3683.JPG
IMG_3684.JPG

Sanding it and drill 4 holes for the screws.

IMG_3685.JPG
IMG_3686.JPG

Then I cut the part in 2 by the rounding of the barrel. And attach it to the barrel. Before that I cut out the holles in the barrel, sorry I forgot to take photo's of that.

IMG_3688.JPG
IMG_3689.JPG

This is how it looks now and you see the suction on the paper on the inlet.

IMG_3691.JPG
When the hose and filter arrive of Aliexpress I show you the end result.

Thanks for the visit.

IMG_3687.JPG

Last edited:
My dust sucking machine is ready. Perfect? yes except the suction power of the motor I used. I use a centrifugal fan, I can change it to a tube fan what is used for bath rooms

sample:
ruck-buisventilator-260m-h-o-100-mm-plus-elektronische-traploze-regelaar-1-0-a.jpgsenp-tdm-inschuif_2.png

But it does the job where I make it for. The little dust I make when sanding tiny parts like the frames of the ship or the ornaments. Fore that it's perfect. No more dust.

IMG_3729.JPG

The machine stands next to my desk and is always available when needed.

IMG_3728.JPG

I use a dust bin on the outlet. I wanted to use a filter in the inside but lost to much suction power

IMG_3730.JPG

Maybe when I change the motor in the future for a more powerful and another fan type. But for this moment it works, and all the dust keeps in the barrel, the filter on the outlet is for the invisible dust that comes out.

Thanks for the visit.

And Ken ( @Hoss6262 ) I know it looks like the thing that Oppenheimer build in the past, this one is safer. ROTF

I always appreciate great engineering and craftsmanship work like yours, nevertheless I use either a handheld rechargeable vacuum (quiet, low power but easily blocked with dust) that I keep under the table, or a 40€ barrel vacuum with a built in socket that starts itself when the attached tool starts (noisy and "power hungry" but works only for the needed time).

Back