USS President - 1800 figureheads

Hello.
I am new to the forum so please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. My question is about the figurehead(s) for the USS President. I read in "American Figureheads and Their Carvers," the the original figurehead was of George Washington sitting on a rock, 'supported' by two female full-length figure representing Justice and Truth. My question is, was this always the figurehead? I know after the British captured it and rebuilt it identical in 1819, it had a figurehead of John Adams. Was this on the President prior to its capture? I'm just curious to know more about this. I attached some pictures of the Adams figurehead.
Thanks for any feedback!

HMS_President_in_South_West_India_Dock,_London,_ca._1880_(5375139968).jpg

pic_1_figurehead_1459331271.jpg

There are two contemporary drawings of the USS President - captured in 1815 in the NMM existing

j3607.jpg

President (capture 1815)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, sternboard outline, sheer lines with scroll figurehead, and longitudinal half-breadth for President (captured 1815), a captured United States Fourth Rate, as taken off at Portsmouth Dockyard. The inboard detail includes the knees and riders.

Signed by Nicholas Diddams [Master Shipwright, Portsmouth Dockyard, 1803-1823].

j4080.jpg

'President' (captured 1815); 'Akbar' (1806)​

Scale: 1:24. Plan showing the half-breadth midship sections for President (captured 1815), a captured American 44-gun Frigate, and Akbar (1806), a purchased 56-gun Fourth Rate Frigate. Portsmouth Dockyard is the only time that the two ships were together between December 1816 and 1817 before 'President 'was broken up in June 1818.

Unfortunately no figurehead is shown

This ship was completely broken up in 1918 because of

In March 1818 she was considered for refitting. A drydock inspection revealed that the majority of her timber was defective or rotten and she was broken up at Portsmouth in June.[6] President's design was copied and used to build HMS President in 1829, although this was reportedly more of a political maneuver than a testament to the design. The Royal Navy wished to retain the name and likeness of the American ship on their register as a reminder to the United States and other nations of the capture.

The "copy", the HMS President launched in 1829 is shown in several contemporary drawings

j4106.jpg

President (1829)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, sheer lines with alterations to the stern, and longitudinal half-breadth for President (1829), a 52-gun Fourth Rate, large Frigate.

There is a contemporary shipmodel (model built in 1815) in the National Museum of American History existing

Screenshot 2022-11-14 093551.png

Screenshot 2022-11-14 093612.png

Screenshot 2022-11-14 093634.png

Maybe also interesting this page of a "modern" ship model

Screenshot 2022-11-14 093940.png

and in 2016 this figurehead was also discussed in "gamelabs"

Screenshot 2022-11-14 094645.png

Hello.
I am new to the forum so please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. My question is about the figurehead(s) for the USS President. I read in "American Figureheads and Their Carvers," the the original figurehead was of George Washington sitting on a rock, 'supported' by two female full-length figure representing Justice and Truth. My question is, was this always the figurehead? I know after the British captured it and rebuilt it identical in 1819, it had a figurehead of John Adams. Was this on the President prior to its capture? I'm just curious to know more about this. I attached some pictures of the Adams figurehead.
Thanks for any feedback!
Hallo @Ed.S.725
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back