USS Constitution Cross Section - Model Shipways MS20245 - 1:76 - by JeffT [COMPLETED BUILD]

I added the outer gangway trail board to the model. I held off on installing these because they are very prone to being knocked out of place during the rest of the build. I add two pins on the lower edge to each before gluing them in place. I then added the rope gangway ladders. This completes all of the construction details.
IMG_7935.jpg

The last step was to hoist the main mast banner/commissioning pennant. This was accomplished by making some wooden toggles and glueing the folded banner in place around a short piece of rope with a loop and a toggle.

IMG_7941.jpg

I still have some minor paint touch up to do an then I will take the final pictures of the USS Constitution cross section. The weather later this week may provide the opportunity to set up outside for them. Some more snow needs to melt on my patio area first.

I added the outer gangway trail board to the model. I held off on installing these because they are very prone to being knocked out of place during the rest of the build. I add two pins on the lower edge to each before gluing them in place. I then added the rope gangway ladders. This completes all of the construction details.
View attachment 437678

The last step was to hoist the main mast banner/commissioning pennant. This was accomplished by making some wooden toggles and glueing the folded banner in place around a short piece of rope with a loop and a toggle.

View attachment 437679

I still have some minor paint touch up to do a then I will take the final pictures of the
USS Constitution cross section. The weather later this week may provide the opportunity to set up outside for them. Some more snow needs to melt on my patio area first.
Good afternoon Jeff. Congratulations. So much fine detail it is amazing. Cheers Grant

I am looking forward to see the final photo session - Congrats already .....

I had a nice overcast day recently to take some pictures outside, so here are the final pictures of the model. I am pleased with the result. I managed to complete the coppering which I was concerned about going into the build, but turned out to be not as difficult as it was time consuming. I made all of the ropes using Gütermann E-121 and E-151 thread (thanks Ben at Ropes of Scale) which was the first time I used polyester instead of cotton. It definitely makes nice looking rope.
EOSR3113.jpgEOSR3114.jpgEOSR3115.jpgEOSR3116.jpg
EOSR3126.jpgEOSR3127.jpgEOSR3128.jpgEOSR3129.jpgEOSR3117.jpgEOSR3118.jpgEOSR3119.jpg
EOSR3120.jpgEOSR3121.jpgEOSR3122.jpg
EOSR3131.jpgEOSR3132.jpg

Lastly, a comedian from some time ago used the line (paraphrased), "I told you that story so I could tell you another one." See the link in my signature line for my next build, the Model Expo's USS Constitution. I plan on using what I learned doing the cross section on the full ship version. I am certain it will challenge me like no other ship I have built to date.

EOSR3123.jpg

EOSR3124.jpg

EOSR3125.jpg

EOSR3130.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations also from my side
a very good cross section - good decision to use better quality rope material Thumbsup

and now? After the model is before the model..... what is coming next?

Congratulations also from my side
a very good cross section - good decision to use better quality rope material Thumbsup

and now? After the model is before the model..... what is coming next?
As I mentioned in my last post, my next build is the full Model Shipways USS Constitution.

I had a nice overcast day recently to take some pictures outside, so here are the final pictures of the model. I am pleased with the result. I managed to complete the coppering which I was concerned about going into the build, but turned out to be not as difficult as it was time consuming. I made all of the ropes using Gütermann E-121 and E-151 thread (thanks Ben at Ropes of Scale) which was the first time I used polyester instead of cotton. It definitely makes nice looking rope.
View attachment 439797View attachment 439798View attachment 439799View attachment 439800
View attachment 439810View attachment 439811View attachment 439812View attachment 439813View attachment 439801View attachment 439802View attachment 439803
View attachment 439804View attachment 439805View attachment 439806
View attachment 439815View attachment 439816

Lastly, a comedian from some time ago used the line (paraphrased), "I told you that story so I could tell you another one." See the link in my signature line (to be added soon) for my next build, the Model Expo's USS Constitution. I plan on using what I learned doing the cross section on the full ship version. I am certain it will challenge me like no other ship I have built to date.

View attachment 439807

View attachment 439808

View attachment 439809

View attachment 439814
Good evening Jeff. Way to go...you owned this. Congratulations, Cheers Grant

Hi Jeff That's a great looking model every time I I check the log I see something new in the detail I hadn't noticed before.
I'm looking forward to your new build it's definitely not the easiest kit with lots of challenges along the way but it looks great when finished.

Thank you very much for the effort to present this project in such detail and for sharing it: It teaches a lot and you learn a lot.
Good luck with your next project, which I will be happy to follow. Really, thank you very much.

Back