USS Constitution by Model Shipways 1:76 scale.

I've started on some of the deck fittings, capstan, skylight binnacles and the ships wheel, these are proving to be very time consuming. Most these are scratch built with few parts provided.

a-capstan-on-the-spar-deck_medium.jpg
As I completed the capstan today I'll show the process. It comprises of 6 laser cut discs and whelps all mounted on a dowel.

IMG_20240416_203245.jpg
First problem, the laser didn't cut all the way through and when I tried to remove the whelps the corners broke off.

IMG_20240415_133050.jpg
To make new whelps I assembled the parts first then filed the radius.

IMG_20240416_090156.jpg

IMG_20240427_192711.jpg
I wasn't happy with the way the wooden discs looked and I was going to have trouble with the square holes.

IMG_20240427_192848.jpg
This is what I came up with using my 3D printer a much better alternative I think.

IMG_20240427_154444.jpg
I finished it off with a bit of paint and some brass shim on top.

IMG_20240427_193356.jpg
The ships wheel is currently under construction as you can see the printer is getting a workout. In fact I've used it for all the parts I'm currently working on, more photos are on the way as the parts are finished.

Tony.

I've started on some of the deck fittings, capstan, skylight binnacles and the ships wheel, these are proving to be very time consuming. Most these are scratch built with few parts provided.

View attachment 443979
As I completed the capstan today I'll show the process. It comprises of 6 laser cut discs and whelps all mounted on a dowel.

View attachment 443980
First problem, the laser didn't cut all the way through and when I tried to remove the whelps the corners broke off.

View attachment 443981

View attachment 443982

View attachment 443983
I wasn't happy with the way the wooden discs looked and I was going to have trouble with the square holes.

View attachment 443984
This is what I came up with using my 3D printer a much better alternative I think.

View attachment 443985

View attachment 443986
The ships wheel is currently under construction as you can see the printer is getting a workout. In fact I've used it for all the parts I'm currently working on, more photos are on the way as the parts are finished.

Tony.
Capstan looks perfect.

View attachment 443979

View attachment 443980

View attachment 443981

View attachment 443982

View attachment 443983

View attachment 443984

View attachment 443985

View attachment 443986

Tony.
Tony, you are incredible ! :) :) :) :) :) :)

The Strongbacks installed (36' Pinnace)
Installed of the quarter Davids (preparation, installation after rigging)
Rigging-stern Davids -
Start off rigging - installation of the S-Blocks and Bulleyes
Wood rung ladder of the Mizzen - main and fore still to do
and last but not least the Rudder Chain....

:) :) :) :)

View attachment 442514

View attachment 442515

View attachment 442516

View attachment 442517

View attachment 442518

View attachment 442519

View attachment 442520
You are doing a great job! However, I have one question. Lately, I have been seeing models of the Constitution with top and bottom divided gunport lids with the guns sticking out of a central hole. Yet, the famous Michael Corne paintings show them removed, leaving no lids at all. Other paintings show single piece almost square doors. Which was it?

Bill

i build the confederacy form model shipway it has no mast and it still took me more than 3 years to build , just installing the cannon in the model one day so 28 days and that was before i found ship of scale .

You are doing a great job! However, I have one question. Lately, I have been seeing models of the Constitution with top and bottom divided gunport lids with the guns sticking out of a central hole. Yet, the famous Michael Corne paintings show them removed, leaving no lids at all. Other paintings show single piece almost square doors. Which was it?

Bill
Dear Bill,

The con as it is docked in Boston today has undergone several transformations over the last 200 years of its existence. Today only 10% of his original material survived. To illustrate, some images from Karl Heinz Marquardt's book...So it's quite possible that the gun ports in the past had a different layout....

Today the gun ports are indeed divided into two parts with a rubber seal where the gun barrels protrude.
As they are also depicted on the Model Shipways plan (The Model Shipways CON is based upon today's version in the Boston harbor).
And I follow the plans in order to avoid a "historical" mismatch... :)

You can find more on the USS con's museum website: https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/discover-learn/modeler-resources/

Cheers

Marc

800.jpg

801.jpg

Hi
Today I've finished the fittings. The skylight and binnacles where very hard to make, in the end I combined 3d printed parts with wooden parts and I think they look OK.

IMG_20240417_205920.jpg
This is how I made the skylight.
IMG_20240416_202645.jpg
IMG_20240417_205633.jpg
I tried to make the window panes from wood but they're to small to make 6 exactly the same.
IMG_20240421_160129.jpg
It took a few failed attempts but I'm happy with the end result, the small size was a big problem.
IMG_20240501_140142.jpg

IMG_20240501_135811.jpg
My binnacles where made in much the same way wooden base with a printed top.

IMG_20240501_135703.jpgIMG_20240501_140046.jpg
IMG_20240501_135907.jpg
IMG_20240501_184748.jpg
I feel these parts should have been included in the fittings. To make them look half decent it takes a lot of time and without the printer it would have been a lot more difficult.
Next job is to start on the catheads.

Tony

Back