Underwater Archeological Finds and Papers

I came across an academic source of sunken ship recovery work called Academia. My browser cannot open those as the site does not support Internet Explorer. I cop the paper title and then in an open Mozilla/Firefox paste the title in for the search. Here is a title leading to an expansive recovery with a lot of photos and drawings accompanying the text. It is amazing what is brought up. I hope that it opens for you if you are interested.

.2004_Serçe Limanı: An Eleventh-Century Shipwreck, Vol. I: The Ship and its Anchorage, Crew and Passengers

Rich (PT-2)

I came across an academic source of sunken ship recovery work called Academia. My browser cannot open those as the site does not support Internet Explorer. I cop the paper title and then in an open Mozilla/Firefox paste the title in for the search. Here is a title leading to an expansive recovery with a lot of photos and drawings accompanying the text. It is amazing what is brought up. I hope that it opens for you if you are interested.

.2004_Serçe Limanı: An Eleventh-Century Shipwreck, Vol. I: The Ship and its Anchorage, Crew and Passengers

Rich (PT-2)
Correct that computer dumbing avatar with the embedded anchor, the title in part should read as . . . and its Anchorage, Crew . . . . etc.
Sorry for my copy/paste computer override. Rich

Correct that computer dumbing avatar with the embedded anchor, the title in part should read as . . . and its Anchorage, Crew . . . . etc.
Sorry for my copy/paste computer override. Rich
Well it did it again Explosion:confused: so just type the word that you see there. Drats!!!!! rich

second link

these both links work

second PDF
I mentioned that research papers are posted by an organization called Academia on a large range of topics. Here, hopefully, is the link to their "home" page describing themselves. You may be able to open an account to receive notices of topics of interest to you as well as notifications of your last read papers.
Rich (PT-2)

I know this site, I downloaded a lot of papers about spanish galleons. A lot of interesting stuff.

yes me too great site. god bless stay safe all don
Now to retype what I tried to update but lost without opening another window first. While still waiting for plans to arrive for a Phoenician Trade Boat 14cBC I have continued my searching for underwater archaeological wreck recoveries in the Easter Med, Turkey, Cyprus, and Greece. A most informative one for my scratch model is titled, A Brief History of Ships' Hulls and Anchors as Revealed along the Turkish Coast by the Institute of Nautical Archaeology. Most informative for me is the most ancient manner of hull construction as a shell with the planks secured in a mortice and tenon manner without frames
Mortise and Tenon Construction.jpg
This will be very similar to the Strip Canoe modeling.
Later was a Greek form of lacing the plank edges with only guide dowels and a rudimentary beginning of frames which were not recovered. The lacing was with a fiberous material.
Laced Construction.jpg
They also include an evolution of anchors
Sequence of Ancient Anchors Development.jpg
The plans look very scanty so I think that I will have to do my own measurements of offsets for a hull mold. I'll continue this when I have something in hand to show.
Rich (PT-2)

Back