Unboxing Unboxing "DIANA" 40 GUN MAHONESAS FRIGATE - OCCRE 1/85 Scale

The Diana was one of the six Mahonesas-class 12-pounder frigates built at the Mahón shipyard in Minorca. Her designer Julián Martín de Retamosa, Ingeniero General of the Armada, perfected the English and French construction techniques that had influenced the Spanish shipbuilding during the 18th century.

Hi Everyone.

I bought this kit some time ago and thought I would do this unboxing as this kit is quite close to the top of m build list.
As you would expect from Occre the quality of the wood is really good and there is a lot of it, plenty enough for planking, decking furniture and fittings.

Parts wise I have added more full Cannons and carriages as the original content only had 12 full Cannons and 28 dummies. I intend to open the lower gun deck up and install fully rigged Cannons. I have also added cloth flags to the kit to replace the vinyl one, for this kit I don't think I will be adding sails this time as I fancy leaving her open to be able to view everything. Personally I think a Frigate is one of those ships that looks better without sails but that's just my own opinion.
The only thing I can really gripe about is the use of Metal boats, especially on a kit this size, I wished they had wooden boats just like the Endeavour I had built.
I may well shop around to see if there is any wooden ones I could purchase to replace the metal ones before and nearer the time of the build.
Definitely value for money for this size of kit and what I paid for it at the time.

Occre Diana sizes....
Length 850mm
Height 635mm
Width 360mm

If anyone has any questions about the kit feel free to ask...

20230707_153334.jpg

20230707_153507.jpg

20230707_154002.jpg

20230707_154400.jpg

20230707_154558.jpg

20230707_154828.jpg

20230707_154946.jpg

20230707_155232.jpg

Last edited:
and in order to maybe kit bashing etc. there is a very detailed planset available of the Mahonesa

I am pretty sure, it would be very helpful .......

Hi. I'm finishing OCCRE Nuestra Señora de Las Mercedes at the moment, kit is identical to yours Diana.
All I can say is that, the model look nice and nothing else. You need about 600 hours to make it really good, and it's only a waste of time - very poor quality of materials, wood, metal parts, and low details in 1:85 scale. At the moment, i could bought a monograph from Ancre "la mahonesa", wood and some proxxon tool to model room for this price. I wouldn't buy this set again.
Regards

and in order to maybe kit bashing etc. there is a very detailed planset available of the Mahonesa

I am pretty sure, it would be very helpful .......

Thank you very much Uwek for all that relevant information of which i have saved, and will definitely take on board before I start the build.

Last edited:
Here is some information that might help
Good luck with your build

Back