Translation of French

Hi Stuart,
Being native French speaker, I might help once in a blue moon .
The sails above tops have indeed parrot names, perroquet, then cacatois, which translate as parrot, then cockatoo
For the mizzen mast, the sails are called perroquet de fougue, then cacatois de perruche, but the notion of mizzen in itself is a joke as in French Mizaine is the foremast, not the aft one
A poulie de caliorne is a block and tackle (a pully system). A poulie de candelette is a block pully with a rope band. I will attempt to add photo.

IMG_0380.png

Last edited:
Bon jour to our French shipmates. I've just been translating from J. Boudriot's vol 3 of Le vasseux de 74 canons, (google/Firefox translate), but some words do not translate, eg. poulie de caliorne = caliorne pulley ? & poulie de candelette. = candle pulley? I'm hoping one of you can tell me what they are in English, s'il vous plait. A translation that made me laugh was 'Fiery parrot', for topgallant, when I'd missed an accent!
ROTF
Stuart
. You will not find Boudriot's preferred words in a standard French dictionary. Buy a copy of Ancre's special French dictionary that they publish just to solve this specific problem. I have two copies and have been translating these books for fourty years now. Boudriot wrote in olde nautical French, not in current conversational French.

. You will not find Boudriot's preferred words in a standard French dictionary. Buy a copy of Ancre's special French dictionary that they publish just to solve this specific problem. I have two copies and have been translating these books for fourty years now. Boudriot wrote in olde nautical French, not in current conversational French.
Can you show us the photo or link to Ancre of this special French dictionary?

Hello, I checked the Paasch’s book and did not find the solution to my problem: I am Flemish (Belgian) and thus Dutch speaking. I did search for an English-Dutch translation but could only find recent sailing stuff. I am currently building the Caldercraft Victory and have some issues with the instructions. Somebody has an idea? The Netherlands was a great sailing nation so in my opinion it must exist… Thanks, Daniel

Hi Stuart,
Being native French speaker, I might help once in a blue moon .
The sails above tops have indeed parrot names, perroquet, then cacatois, which translate as parrot, then cockatoo
For the mizzen mast, the sails are called perroquet de fougue, then cacatois de perruche, but the notion of mizzen in itself is a joke as in French Mizaine is the foremast, not the aft one
Hi, merci beau coup. That's made things a lot clearer to me. I had sussed out the 'joke' regarding mizzen / misaine. We often say the French get things the opposite way around, like some switches & valves (so I've been led to believe);)

Hello, I checked the Paasch’s book and did not find the solution to my problem: I am Flemish (Belgian) and thus Dutch speaking. I did search for an English-Dutch translation but could only find recent sailing stuff. I am currently building the Caldercraft Victory and have some issues with the instructions. Somebody has an idea? The Netherlands was a great sailing nation so in my opinion it must exist… Thanks, Daniel
One thing to remember, is that French rigging did slightly differ from English.

looks to me like a candelette is equivalant to fish falls , heavy block for the anchors, while caliorne is just a general heavy tackle. French often have multiple expressions for the same thing.

I may be joining late, but I’ve had a few model instructions in foreign (to me) languages. And expressing an idea in multiple phrases is common in many languages. I use one of several translation apps and I can always figure out what is being conveyed. However, technical jargon is always a problem, that’s why I refer to my drawings. And if the technical terms have been “lost” over decades of non-use, then it can become a larger problem.

I also believe many model builders get too caught up in making an EXACT REPLICA of the original build, which only they will ever know. We're not going to sea in these ships, they are only a representation of the original. Even museum pieces have their “errors”. My belief is that some of these readers/participants need to lighten up, step back and think about the final product. Let the flaming begin.

Bon jour to our French shipmates. I've just been translating from J. Boudriot's vol 3 of Le vasseux de 74 canons, (google/Firefox translate), but some words do not translate, eg. poulie de caliorne = caliorne pulley ? & poulie de candelette. = candle pulley? I'm hoping one of you can tell me what they are in English, s'il vous plait. A translation that made me laugh was 'Fiery parrot', for topgallant, when I'd missed an accent!
ROTF
Stuart

ROTF
Stuart

I found some translation in the "Dictionnaire de Marine à voiles" de MM. Pâris and de Bonnefoux (1847) Caliorne = winding tackle;
Palan de candelette = Fore-tackle ( the strongest tackle on a ship). The poulie de candelette is a double pulley i.e two pulleys one on top of the other.

You may find some help here : http://www.bruzelius.info/Nautica/Etymology/Swedish/Calwagen(1851)a.html it is an old swedish - English - French naval dictionary.
Maxime
ROTF
Stuart

I totally forgot about this small helper

I made once a small book review:

A MARINE VOCABULARY
VOCABULAIRE DE MARINE

bilingual English-French and French-English
by David H. ROBERTS

Me olvidé por completo de este pequeño ayudante.

Una vez hice una pequeña reseña de un libro:

UN VOCABULARIO MARINO
VOCABULARIO DE MARINA

bilingüe inglés-francés y francés-inglés
por David H. ROBERTS

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...-and-french-english-by-david-h-roberts. 3784/

Even with "imaginative" translations, I have to thank the existence of Google Translate, which allows us to communicate more comfortably.
For a complicated lexicon, such as ancient naval vocabulary, I usually go to several 19th century dictionaries that include equivalences in different languages (English, French and Italian).
They can be found (and downloaded) from book.google.
I am adding a copy of a search carried out to find these dictionaries.

I hope it works for you.

Back