tools for rope seizing

Greetings, I have difficulty understanding how your serving device works when you serve the breeching line. Can you explain or show this device in 'action'?

Greetings, I have difficulty understanding how your serving device works when you serve the breeching line. Can you explain or show this device in 'action'?
Thanks for your question Jimsky..I wouldn't exactly refer to it as a device as much as simply re-purposing tools for a different purpose. simply clamp the eyebolt into the vise as you would a hook,install the breach rope into the eyebolt and clamp it to itself with your hemostat or hackle pliers,then tightly tie and wrap your serving with the thread bobbin tool.I started using both of my tying vises,using large rubber bands to the bench for tension and serving both ends at once.Once you do a couple times it actually seems pretty fast and simple.6C1AA0C7-D7FC-4CFF-98A3-5249B0B10DBE_1_102_o.jpegD4E0D4F4-402D-4BB2-9762-EE72D47A5734_1_102_o.jpegA55465D8-6189-47EB-8548-98884056934F_1_102_o.jpeg

Looks like its just like tying flies. Allows easy threadwraps there. Won't work very well for serving mid-lines IMHO...
Thanks for your comment Philski. It actually got me thinking more and I think a solution came to me...I got out my second vice (what self respecting fly tier doesn't have two) and came up with a rig that works all the way around. I made a test wrap to try it out and found it works really well for me. I'm using OcCre 0.80mm rope which at scale comes to 3" diameter rope, and common polyester thread for the serving. I plan on using this setup to serve the shrouds,etc. when I get to that point.AAC87551-843B-4CFC-9C5B-661814F358B5_1_102_o.jpegB699B2A7-0304-425B-8F48-C39647F32BBD_1_102_o.jpeg

Jgsandberg, that's a great Idea. It got me to thinking an alternative is a pair of "helping hands" probably less costly.

Jgsandberg, that's a great Idea. It got me to thinking an alternative is a pair of "helping hands" probably less costly.

Yes I agree with what you're saying, it may work. The advantage of using tying vise's are that they clamp down solid on the eyebolt, as they are designed to do, and you can apply substantial tension on your work,as evidenced by the thread bobbin hanging from the middle with minimum deflection. That allows you to apply very tight wraps, similar to a serving hammer IMHO View attachment 4093633675B44E-844E-4713-9739-7249FACEF123_1_102_o.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for your question Jimsky..I wouldn't exactly refer to it as a device as much as simply re-purposing tools for a different purpose. simply clamp the eyebolt into the vise as you would a hook,install the breach rope into the eyebolt and clamp it to itself with your hemostat or hackle pliers,then tightly tie and wrap your serving with the thread bobbin tool.I started using both of my tying vises,using large rubber bands to the bench for tension and serving both ends at once.Once you do a couple times it actually seems pretty fast and simple.View attachment 409299View attachment 409300View attachment 409301
Creative! I'll keep this in mind. (I have 4 flytying vises).....

Gd. Take a look there

Thx

Back