Tips for building “solid hull” boats

Hello. Having completed my Occre Ulysses, plank on frame, I grabbed a very old Marine Model Co. “Liberty Ship” - solid hull - off of EBAY. It will require plenty of shaping and sanding, including carving down the bulwarks to 1/16th of an inch. My question is “what kind of tools would be best to accomplish this task…..as well as other tasks necessary when building solid hulls?” Thanks.c

Last edited:
Hello. Having completed my Occre Ulysses, plank on frame, I grabbed a very old Marine Model Co. “Liberty Ship” - solid hull - off of EBAY. It will require plenty of shaping and sanding, including carving down the bulwarks to 1/16th of an inch. My question is “what kind of tools would be best to accomplish this task…..as well as other tasks necessary when building solid hulls?” Thanks.c
Are you sure that the bulwarks aren't added on with a piece of wood after the hull is shaped. As far as what tools to use, mostly just elbow grease. There are so many choices, it really comes down to how aggressive you need to get. Most times, a good rasp and finish with sandpaper.

I have about a dozen model ship building books I have collected. The one that taught me the most about solid hull construction is Ben Lankford's "How to Build First-Rate Ship Models From Kits". There are only 4 pages devoted to that specific topic, which is more than any other book I have found. =) But he also discusses basic tools. For tools, you will need chisels (straight blade) and gouges (curved blade) and sharp knives. Basicly a carving setup. Add a dremel with a cylindrical sanding head. Lots of sand paper. You may end up making some custom tools like a curved sanding block if you really get into it. Lankford discusses this. You will be doing a lot of sanding so plan your work location to be a messy one, maybe outside in the shade..... =)

Brian

I built the Phantom kit which was solid hull, the ship builder group I was part of at the time has a very experienced builder, and he told me to cut off all bulwarks and then shape the deck and hull and fabricate new parts from strip wood to make sides and frames pieces on inside.

One hint he gave me was glue the hull shape templates onto thin card with contact glue or spray adhesive in the can. It help to keep them flat and in shape for use in carving and sanding hull to shape.

Thanks Kurt. I heard the same from other folk. For this one, I decided to do it the “old fashion way.” x-acto knife, rasp and sandpaper…. And patience. It worked out ok for this cargo ship I’m making….bulwarks we’re not very high and no need for supports. I heard that the Phantom is a great build. Best.

I have about a dozen model ship building books I have collected. The one that taught me the most about solid hull construction is Ben Lankford's "How to Build First-Rate Ship Models From Kits". There are only 4 pages devoted to that specific topic, which is more than any other book I have found. =) But he also discusses basic tools. For tools, you will need chisels (straight blade) and gouges (curved blade) and sharp knives. Basicly a carving setup. Add a dremel with a cylindrical sanding head. Lots of sand paper. You may end up making some custom tools like a curved sanding block if you really get into it. Lankford discusses this. You will be doing a lot of sanding so plan your work location to be a messy one, maybe outside in the shade..... =)

Brian
Hallo Brian alias @briank
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back