Thread prep. Beeswax vs shellac

I experimented using bees wax and applying shellac to thread. Seems like shellac works much better. Flexible but does not fray. Anyone have advice or experience using shellac vs beeswax? I applied shellac with a foam brush then wiped with a paper towel to remove any excess and smooth any fuzz.

I have a model ship handed down in my family that is 150+ years old. My mom said a friend of the family re-rigged it about 100 years ago. When finished he put shellac on the rigging to preserve it. It tightened up everything and broke many pieces. He was so discouraged he could not do it over. I got into ship modeling with the idea that I might try to restore it one day. The more I learn, the less inclined I am to try a restoration.

Azalea.jpg

Rigging is always a bit of a challenge. I've got many models that over the years have developed a bit of slack in the lines, but due to a very low humidity level in my region, it's never become too much of an issue. If you were in a high humidity region, then waxing the lines, or investing in other rigging material less prone to stretching would be the way to go. Best wishes for success with your model.

Last edited:
It's a lovely heirloom, and with patience I think you'd be able to do a fine job of restoration. It would also present the opportunity to replace those blocks used on the running rigging with ones closer to scale. The deadeyes themselves don't look too far our of scale. Still a bit large, but not ridiculously so. Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying. The model itself is a wonderful piece of work given the era in which it was made. All those pieces would have been handcrafted, as opposed to today where you can go into a model shop and be able to pick and choose replacement blocks in a variety of materials and sizes. It's calling your name and asking for help. If you have challenges, there are many people here on the forum who will come to your aid with guidance and recommendations.

Start with some soft brushes to begin cleaning it. ( Makeup Brushes that can be found in sets and a variety of sizes in the drugstore makeup section are good) I made a cleaning hood out of a cardboard box with a square hole cut in the back to press fit a furnace filter into. Then a box fan turned to draw air through the filter behind that, as close snug up against the filter as as you can put it. Collects most of the dust. Blowing air on it, not so good unless done very gently and judiciously.
Then find plans for a ship or ship model that most closely approximates your model in time , history, purpose and design as a guide to re-rigging and re- assembling yours. Take pictures against a white background and, if you can, make one to one scale drawings of how she looks before disassembling her. ( A good pair of dividers is necessary). Try to stay as faithful to the original as is practicable. The original finish looks pretty good under all that dust. And remember, they're only original once. Even though the original blocks look a little clunky and out of scale, you might want to consider reusing them if only to maintain the folk art charm of the model.

Pete,
Feel free to contact me through the mail option on the lower right of the SOS banner, just below the ship. I've done a lot of these. Maybe I can put you in touch with Peter Sweetser in Chestertown MD. He's a professional. And of course there is the book "Caring for Ship Models" by Rob Napier, Sea Watch books

Above all be patient with the model and yourself, use your imagination and have fun. It's a voyage of discovery. After awhile you will begin to develop a feeling of intimacy with the original modeler. It becomes quite a spiritual sensation after awhile, the connection to the past and a long deceased ancestor.

Last edited:
You would be better served to buy aftermarket ropes for your model so you don't need wax or shellac .
I would agree with this…I do not use either…I do not coat rigging thread. Purchase or use quality threads that do not fray, and just as important do not twist under tension. You do not need to coat quality rigging threads.

Drydock Models and Fittings has a link on SOS. Very high quality rigging rope, fittings, blocks, fine kits etc. at reasonable cost.
Ditto Syren Models. I don't know if they have a link here, but google them and they'll show up, also very fine model kits

What is " quality rigging thread" and where can you purchase it?
here are the best places to look at:

Back