The model of Admiral Nelson's flagship HMS VICTORY - 1765 (DeAgostini, Scale 1:84)

View attachment 147872
The VICTORY’s keel was laid down in my shipyard at the end of 2011. This is the third ship released in installments by the magazine. That is why I started building without knowing what I was setting myself in for. Having already assembled the hull, it was evident that the ship would be large and heavy and complicated to build. About the time I completed the first layer of planking to the gunports - I put it aside to complete first simpler models. This interruption lasted 3.5 years until January of 2017. I began work on it again and this time took it firmly in hand, without distractions until completion in June of 2017, the last steps being the flags and glass cover. It took me 4.5 full years to complete the model.

View attachment 147873

View attachment 147874

View attachment 147876

View attachment 147877

View attachment 147878

View attachment 147879

View attachment 147880

View attachment 147881

View attachment 147882

View attachment 147883

View attachment 147884

View attachment 147885

View attachment 147886

View attachment 147887

More details and photos you can find on this model's personal page:
Sensational masterpiece done by a world class artist

It finally happened! I convinced my husband to create his channel. Underwater ship archeology - only facts about real ships, their history, fate and purpose.
This channel was created specifically for those who want to build historically accurate models of ships and are looking for reliable information for their research.
Now you can ask directly Dr. KB any questions about ships and I will record a video!

Kroum Batchvarov - Underwater Ship Archaeologist
The first video with the presentation of the channel:

What would you be most interested in?
- shipwrecks
- the history of ships
- drawings and documentation
- research

It finally happened! I convinced my husband to create his channel. Underwater ship archeology - only facts about real ships, their history, fate and purpose.
This channel was created specifically for those who want to build historically accurate models of ships and are looking for reliable information for their research.
Now you can ask directly Dr. KB any questions about ships and I will record a video!

Kroum Batchvarov - Underwater Ship Archaeologist
The first video with the presentation of the channel:

What would you be most interested in?
- shipwrecks
- the history of ships
- drawings and documentation
- research

Hello Kroum,

As a ship modeler, I am most interested in drawing, paintings, and other sources that provide details on how a model is constructed. So little information survives beyond hull framing, such as belaying point details and deck fittings. Because most model kits have so many incorrect features, research is essential to making a model even somewhat accurate. This is especially true for ship earlier than the 18th century.

Being someone interested in the great ships of the early 17th century, I would be personally interested in the history and development of belaying pins, how and where they were used, and how rigging was belayed before they became common. Model kits use belaying pins (and lot of them!) in early vessels in places where a mix of kevels, cavals, cleats, timberheads, and even railings were probably used. Knowing the conventions of belaying points for earlier vessels would help kit builders of galleons and large vessels in the time of the sprit topsail change accurize their models in this regard.

Best wishes to you and Olha!

Kurt

Last edited:
Back