The Dutch 72-gun ship ca. 1690 – the apogee of Dutch ship design of the Classical Age

.​
FANTASTIC STUFF VERY INFORMATIVE, OH PLEASE MORE THE HOBBY NEEDS THIS. HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT MY SUGESTION. KEEP IT UP. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS. DON

Thank you very much, Don. However, this is not at all just about the needs of hobbyists. As a matter of fact, this very Dutch plan and the conclusions drawn from its analysis, simply ruin the existing perception of the design and shipbuilding methods of the Witsen and van Yk era, presented to the general public in 'official' modern studies, including by the academic community. For this reason, I do not at all expect a warm welcome for this material from this side. Life...

.​

I think there are ways to present the new views to interested people, Waldemar, trying to ignore the loudmouths that visited us in the recent past. We can have a conversation about the options. I'll mail you.

this very Dutch plan and the conclusions drawn from its analysis, simply ruin the existing perception of the design and shipbuilding methods of the Witsen and van Yk era,
This is what I have been saying all along and in this case your findings are even more profound as they are era-relevant. Now imagine my frustration when Witsen van Yk's theories are being applied to ships that precede their era by as much as 100 years.

.​

This is what I have been saying all along and in this case your findings are even more profound as they are era-relevant. Now imagine my frustration when Witsen van Yk's theories are being applied to ships that precede their era by as much as 100 years.

All in all, I share your attitude, Heinrich, because it is for this period that things are particularly obscured. In such circumstances, we naturally turn to methods of interpolation and extrapolation, but of course without any guarantee of true results. There is simply a desperate lack of source material for the north of the continent in this early period. Or perhaps what is already available needs to be analysed even more closely...

Or perhaps what is already available needs to be analysed even more closely...
I think herein lies a very important clue - at least it paid me dividends in my research as to the identity of Barentsz's ship by not only reading different translations of De Veer's diary but also the different editions. Often, I would discover more in the footnotes than what the actual journal/s revealed.

JUST MY 2 CENTS FORGET THE NAY SAYERS STATE YOUR DISCOVERIE, REMEM BER FOR CENTURIES EVEN LATELY THE TOOLS OF RESEARCH ARE NEW YOU ARE USING IT WELL CONTINUE YOU HAVE MANY, MANY PEOPLE THAT ARE WITH YOU SOME OF THE BEST IN THIS FIELD. I PERSONALLY LOVE TO KNOW THE HISTORY OF WHAT I MODEL IT MAKES IT SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING AND SUPRISINGLY THOSE WHO VIEW MY BUILDS REALLY LIKE IT WHEN I EXPLAIN AS BEST I CAN . PLEASE CONTINUE WITH YOUR AMAZING WORK BTW HAPPY EASTER IN CHRIST. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

.​
JUST MY 2 CENTS FORGET THE NAY SAYERS STATE YOUR DISCOVERIE, REMEM BER FOR CENTURIES EVEN LATELY THE TOOLS OF RESEARCH ARE NEW YOU ARE USING IT WELL CONTINUE YOU HAVE MANY, MANY PEOPLE THAT ARE WITH YOU SOME OF THE BEST IN THIS FIELD. I PERSONALLY LOVE TO KNOW THE HISTORY OF WHAT I MODEL IT MAKES IT SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING AND SUPRISINGLY THOSE WHO VIEW MY BUILDS REALLY LIKE IT WHEN I EXPLAIN AS BEST I CAN . PLEASE CONTINUE WITH YOUR AMAZING WORK BTW HAPPY EASTER IN CHRIST. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

:)

Thank you very much, Don. Your two cents are always appreciated. Your recent suggestion in private correspondence has prompted me to look again at some very attractive material from the Iberian Peninsula from the period I like best. However, I don't yet know whether these preliminary glimpses will translate (quickly) into any concrete presentation. For various reasons, not least because it will require a lot of preparation and work. We shall see...

In general, the number of cases from this early period suitable for such analyses has already drastically decreased. I have a few more ideas, but it doesn't help when someone refuses to make the data available, also if they have previously promised to do so publicly.

.​

Back