Thanks for the invitation!

Thanks for the invitation. I've been a plastic ship modeler, mostly WWII aircraft carriers. My interest stems from having served on USS ESSEX CVS-9 in the 60's. Been looking at information on building an ESSEX sailing ship and have had some great assistance from guys on your website. I'm gonna get my feet wet with wooden ship building thanks to your encouragement and the others on the website.
Keep up the good work and thanks Donnie.

EJ

Hi EJ, and you are welcome. It is good to have you on board as they say. We are all here to help.

Do you have any images of your aircraft carriers?

It seems that I have heard of the ESSEX, but not too much (as far as myself goes) do you have anymore info on it?

I would like to see what you are wanting to build.

Donnie

Donnie said:
Hi EJ, and you are welcome. It is good to have you on board as they say. We are all here to help.

Do you have any images of your aircraft carriers?

It seems that I have heard of the ESSEX, but not too much (as far as myself goes) do you have anymore info on it?

I would like to see what you are wanting to build.

Donnie

Well Donnie, I served on the aircraft carrier USS ESSEX CVS-9 in the 60's, but the history goes back to 1799. The first ESSEX, a 32 gun frigate was launched in Salem, ESSEX County MA in 1799. The second ESSEX was a river steamer, an ironclad in 1856. The third waas a two-masted wooden hulled sail/steamer built at Boston MA and commissioned in October 1876. The fourth was the aircraft carrier, CV-9, the first of her class built during WWII, commissioned Dec of 1942, redesignated CVA-9 in 1952, and rdesignated again as CVS-9 (anti submarine warfare) in march 1960, decommissioned in 1969. The fifth to carry the name is USS ESSEX LHD-2, launched at Pascagoula, Miss. January 1991, a marine assult ship. Their crewmen are incorporated into the USS ESSEX Association.
My intent is to build all the ESSEX's if possible. I have some WWII versions at various times of WWII, a Wasp kit for the LHD to be built as ESSEX, and am starting research for the 32 gun Frigate. Should keep me busy. I don't have any pics yet. I'm gonna get my son over to do that for me so I can post them.

Back