Tapering Rib of POF kit

This is a silly question. This is in anticipation of my next build, a POF ship model. How do you accurately taper ribs?

Filing manually (or with Dremel sander) seen somewhat imprecise without guides. Is the visual laser marking on the piece good enough for reference?
Are you rough shaping than finishing once the ribs secure in place?
Using a tilt table on a drum sander will work well... but what about the inner part of the ribs?

A thousand for sharing your approach... I'm still a beginner but passionate enough to tackle a POF build.

I use a 90 degree angle attachment on my Dremel with the rubber sanding fitting. I can feather off the edge of the frames without gouging the wood.

s-l400.jpeg

This is a silly question. This is in anticipation of my next build, a POF ship model. How do you accurately taper ribs?

Filing manually (or with Dremel sander) seen somewhat imprecise without guides. Is the visual laser marking on the piece good enough for reference?
Are you rough shaping than finishing once the ribs secure in place?
Using a tilt table on a drum sander will work well... but what about the inner part of the ribs?

A thousand for sharing your approach... I'm still a beginner but passionate enough to tackle a POF build.
I bought with my first POF model also a oszillating drum sander - if you do not wish to invest so much, you can sand with a drum on your Dremel as much as possible before the installation of the frame on top of the keel.
The laser marks are often very accurate - on my CAF models definitely - but please check it - I guess it is depending on the kit
Rough shaping with some meat before installation of thge frames - final sanding of the inner hull after final installation of the frames on the keel
Karl alias @Jeronimo bought shortly ago this tool - I think a very good one to sand the inner hull

Thank you @Bryian, @Uwek, I'm really appreciated and looking forward to the little 1:96 "Enterprise" POF build. It will be a challenge the first time, but this is what I'm looking for. This keeps me fully engage. I'm sure I will have many more questions once I started (likely by the year-end - wife say this is from Santa). Finishing the Amati Revenge first, then will start a log here.

Again, I much appreciate yours, and many other members Logs... I learned so much with them.

Back