state of the art model ship building

my point was not what is scratch building, what i was trying to get at is, has this hobby become a ship in a box with everything mass produced and all the pieces and parts put in a box. There is such a thing as a scratch built kit an example of this is the Swan Class projects where you buy the plans, select the wood you want to use, cut all your own wood or source out the wood and buy either pre milled or bulk. Search for things like fittings, rigging blocks etc. or make your own.
i consider myself a scratch builder and never search through available "kits" i pick a subject of interest start by planning out the build, make a material list, and use whatever resources i can ie. laser cutters, 3d printers, computer aided drafting. some of the work is sent out like the actual laser cutting. sometimes i hire a 3d artist. but the project started with me, i am the master shipwright on the build.

This has become the lost art of model ship building.

Kurt
No, just very scarce, made moreso by the scarcity of people inspired and skilled enough to make anything with their own hands.

i agree the lack of inspiration, it is easier to pick a box off the shelf as opposed to coming up with an original idea. but as for the lack of skill i do not agree it takes as much skill to build a kit as it does to start from scratch. To scratch build there is the prepping that is milling all your own wood but there are services available and sources of pre milled wood. What came in the mail is a stack of sheet wood and dimensioned scale lumber it is up to you to turn that into a ship model.

so! scratch building as was done by the past generation of guys like Harold Hahn and Robert Bruckshaw is a dying art form. and those who pursue the art of model ship building are few and far between.

what are we passing along to the next generation a bunch of hobby crafted mass produced ships from a box or the art of scale model ship building?
But then again who really cares?

Glen Grieco

david Warther
Even though most models may end up being built from kits in the future, there will always be some 100% scratch builders out there, and they will always serve as examples to others in how to build extravagant and unique models.

Even though most models may end up being built from kits in the future, there will always be some 100% scratch builders out there, and they will always serve as examples to others in how to build extravagant and unique models.
Kurt

i agree someone some place might still be into the finer art of model ship building but finding them will be rare for example how many cobblers are in the city where you live? The shoe repair industry today isn’t as thriving as it used to be, to say the least. According to cobbler and shoe repair historian Jim McFarland, in the United States there were about 120,000 cobblers in the year 1928; today they are still around but only a small handful.
Really who goes out and has a pair of shoes hand made?

The internet will preserve all the lost arts and how they were done. But someone or some group has to add it to the internet AI just does not create it out of cyber space.

Should SoS create a section devoted to scratch building model ship and how it is done?

As with handing down a model as an item of value a unique scratch built model has way more value than one of 10,000 commercial kit built models.

Here is a list of the lost arts check out number 5 on the list
either we no longer need these things or automation has replace the hand made item.
Model ship building is an art and there is no practical use for them outside maritime archeology and in the academics.

CRITICALLY ENDANGERED
Bagpipe making (smallpipes)
Bee skep making
Bicycle frame making
Block printing (wallpaper and textiles)
Boat building (traditional wooden)
Brass instrument making
Brick making
Brilliant cutting
Broom making
Brush making
Canal art and boat painting
Clock making
Coach building
Coach trimming
Composition picture framing
Coopering (beer)
Coracle making
Corn dolly making
Cornish hedging
Cricket bat making
Falconry furniture making
Fairground art
Fender making
Flintknapping (masonry)
Folding knife making
Free reed instrument making
Gauged brickwork
Globe making
Glove making
Graining and marbling
Hand engraving
Hand grinding
Hand hewing
Harp making
Hat making
Horn, antler and bone working
Hurdle making
Illumination
Keyboard instrument making
Kilt making
Lacquerwork (lacquer, japanning and coromandel) NEW FOR 2023
Ladder making
Letterpress printing
Lithograpy
Lorinery
Marbling
Marionette making
Mechanical organ making
Nalbinding
Neon making
Oar, mast, spar and flagpole making
Orkney chair making
Pargeting, scucco and scagliola
Passementerie
Percussion instrument making
Pigment making
Rake making
Reverse glass sign painting
Rope making
Rush matting
Sail making
Scientific glassworking
Sgian dubh making
Shetland lace knitting
Shinty caman making
Shoe and boot last and tree making
Shoe and boot making
Side saddle making
Silk weaving
Skeined willow working
Slating
Spar making
Spectacle making
Split cane rod making
Stained glass window making (historic)
Straw working
Type founding and manufacture
Umbrella making
Vardo art and living waggon crafts
Vegetable tanning
Wheeling
Wheelwrighting
Wooden pipe making
Woodwind instrument making

Kurt

i agree someone some place might still be into the finer art of model ship building but finding them will be rare for example how many cobblers are in the city where you live? The shoe repair industry today isn’t as thriving as it used to be, to say the least. According to cobbler and shoe repair historian Jim McFarland, in the United States there were about 120,000 cobblers in the year 1928; today they are still around but only a small handful.
Really who goes out and has a pair of shoes hand made?

The internet will preserve all the lost arts and how they were done. But someone or some group has to add it to the internet AI just does not create it out of cyber space.

Should SoS create a section devoted to scratch building model ship and how it is done?

As with handing down a model as an item of value a unique scratch built model has way more value than one of 10,000 commercial kit built models.

Here is a list of the lost arts check out number 5 on the list
either we no longer need these things or automation has replace the hand made item.
Model ship building is an art and there is no practical use for them outside maritime archeology and in the academics.

CRITICALLY ENDANGERED
Bagpipe making (smallpipes)
Bee skep making
Bicycle frame making
Block printing (wallpaper and textiles)
Boat building (traditional wooden)
Brass instrument making
Brick making
Brilliant cutting
Broom making
Brush making
Canal art and boat painting
Clock making
Coach building
Coach trimming
Composition picture framing
Coopering (beer)
Coracle making
Corn dolly making
Cornish hedging
Cricket bat making
Falconry furniture making
Fairground art
Fender making
Flintknapping (masonry)
Folding knife making
Free reed instrument making
Gauged brickwork
Globe making
Glove making
Graining and marbling
Hand engraving
Hand grinding
Hand hewing
Harp making
Hat making
Horn, antler and bone working
Hurdle making
Illumination
Keyboard instrument making
Kilt making
Lacquerwork (lacquer, japanning and coromandel) NEW FOR 2023
Ladder making
Letterpress printing
Lithograpy
Lorinery
Marbling
Marionette making
Mechanical organ making
Nalbinding
Neon making
Oar, mast, spar and flagpole making
Orkney chair making
Pargeting, scucco and scagliola
Passementerie
Percussion instrument making
Pigment making
Rake making
Reverse glass sign painting
Rope making
Rush matting
Sail making
Scientific glassworking
Sgian dubh making
Shetland lace knitting
Shinty caman making
Shoe and boot last and tree making
Shoe and boot making
Side saddle making
Silk weaving
Skeined willow working
Slating
Spar making
Spectacle making
Split cane rod making
Stained glass window making (historic)
Straw working
Type founding and manufacture
Umbrella making
Vardo art and living waggon crafts
Vegetable tanning
Wheeling
Wheelwrighting
Wooden pipe making
Woodwind instrument making
You're preaching to the choir I think, Dave... I'm a medieval armourer and crossbowmaker... ROTF Actually, there is a cobbler one town over who repair some German jackboots for me once. And, I know a guy who makes bagpipes. I just visited some glass makers in Minneapolis last week. Also, my friend makes supplements his family income as a 19th century copper lamp maker. Many of the old arts are gone, but some survive, and others are relegated to the hobby realm, like what I do.
1714411138786.png

A pal introduced me to a guy who has a contract to maintain and repair original medieval body armour for the Royal Armouries, Leeds, UK.
So had the opportunity to try on an articulated 'gauntlet' among other things.
Remarkable how highly polished the bare riveted steel can be.
Also though these items seem heavy, once you wear them the weight seems to disappear!

Back