Stagecoach build

I got tired of building, maintaining, and repairing RC airplanes, so I decided to give a stagecoach a try. With a little bit of success, I then tried a San Francisco streetcar, and liked the results. Then came a few trams, and other “different” subject types. My collection grew, but not necessarily my skill set. To improve my skills/finishing techniques, I joined a plastic modelers group - because many of those builders do superb finishing work and I hoped to learn from them - and I have. But I also learned many of those “builders” are afraid of ship building due to planking, rigging and the unknown - or they never really built models, they only assembled and finished the plastic kits. Cost wasn’t the deterrent, it was “fear” of failure.

I haven’t found any local clubs that focus on wooden models, but SoS is a great source of information. I‘ve built a few ship models, but I really enjoy the variety of subjects I’ve built over the years, most of which still present building challenges. I also don’t have the room in my home for many of the ships discussed here. I would welcome seeing other subjects discussed, but that isn’t the focus of this forum. I say you should build what you think you’ll like and try to keep challenging your skill set.

Back to the stagecoach question, I say Go 4 It! Worst case is you’ll end with a “bad model” or an expensive box of kindling. IMG_0886.jpeg

I got tired of building, maintaining, and repairing RC airplanes, so I decided to give a stagecoach a try. With a little bit of success, I then tried a San Francisco streetcar, and liked the results. Then came a few trams, and other “different” subject types. My collection grew, but not necessarily my skill set. To improve my skills/finishing techniques, I joined a plastic modelers group - because many of those builders do superb finishing work and I hoped to learn from them - and I have. But I also learned many of those “builders” are afraid of ship building due to planking, rigging and the unknown - or they never really built models, they only assembled and finished the plastic kits. Cost wasn’t the deterrent, it was “fear” of failure.

I haven’t found any local clubs that focus on wooden models, but SoS is a great source of information. I‘ve built a few ship models, but I really enjoy the variety of subjects I’ve built over the years, most of which still present building challenges. I also don’t have the room in my home for many of the ships discussed here. I would welcome seeing other subjects discussed, but that isn’t the focus of this forum. I say you should build what you think you’ll like and try to keep challenging your skill set.

Back to the stagecoach question, I say Go 4 It! Worst case is you’ll end with a “bad model” or an expensive box of kindling. View attachment 424224
Hey Drobbs. Really nice job. Especially like the base. Gives it the "diorama" effect. After several ships, I have been playing around with horse drawn vehicles. My nephew is a paramedic in New York so I made him a civil war ambulance. My wife liked it so much I had to make another for her.
Ambulance.jpg
So far I'm happy with the kit for the most part. One mistake that was my fault, and one error in the kit, but not to hard to correct. Thanks for the comments
Charlie

This forum may well be centered on model ships but I for one would enjoy seeing the modeling skills of our forum members applied to all kinds of model categories. Welcome to the forum!

Back