SS GREAT BRITAIN

Need some help, does anybody know whether the shrouds, ratlines, forestays etc were wire rigged, not rope, when it had three masts and about c.1860 the same as when it first set sail a new innovation from Brunel?

Thanks
Paul

Not sure if this helps as you've probably searched the internet already and been to see the great lady in Bristol. In the guide I got in 2011 it mentions the reconfiguration with three masts but nothing about the steel ropes. There are some pictures of her in the Falkland's but you need to find some with a clearer up close view of whats left of the rigging. To my untrained eye the look and lay of the rigging seems to indicate to me that some are wire ropes. Have you tried to contact the museum and see if they have any info in the extensive archive. Hope you manage to find what you are looking for great subject from an interesting time in her life.
scan0001.jpgscan0002.jpgscan0003.jpgscan0004.jpg

Thanks for a quick reply, I think it had steel cables, I'm not sure it was steel but it's not important. Got in touch with the museum in Bristol about one month ago but have heard nothing. Nobody seems to answer a letter now! I have exactly the wonderful illustration from the Museum brochure and they has made me build the ship as this
Very difficult! you should look at the last updates I made SS GREAT BRITAIN c.1860 and see why I got the idea. I have decided to make it with wire rigging and look forward to lot's of problems, using wire, cursing I started the project but thanking you for getting in touch.

Back