Shot garland

Would you accept this or would you keep trying? I need criticism. :) It's 1:48 scale and 2" long.

Edit- here's a better picture and I can see a few problems from this angle. A few of the shot are too small. I haven't been able to get decent beads or shotgun shot so I'm trying mustard seed that I soaked in India ink.

DSC04721.JPG

Last edited:
I would not use them
first of all they are of different diameters und you easily can recognize it, especialy when they are in the bracket.
and
you do not know what could happen with the years with this organic material .....
I nice try, but I think you should search further for something else

Thank you Uwe. It did occur to me that I may end up with a small mustard garden around the hatch. :) I went to the local gun shop and the owner was very helpful but he didn't have any bulk no 9 shot. He couldn't sell me an individual shell because I don't have a firearms license. He did offer to cut open a shell from a damaged box but he didn't have a damaged box with no 9 shot. And he didn't know anyone in town that reloaded with no 9 shot. There's no small game birds in this area. I went to the hobby shop and they have lots of beads but the ones that were close in size were flattened in the direction the hole was. they were .080" in one way and .060" the other so they ended up being more random looking than the mustard seed.
What else do people use for cannon balls?

I'm not sure what scale you're working in, but The Google Machine says mustard seeds average around 2mm so I'll assume that's your target size.
I used 2mm brass ball bearings (blackened with Birchwood Casey Brass Black) for my 1:96 USS Constitution.
2023-01-06 19.03.05.jpg
If 2mm is too big, the bearings are also available in 1.5 mm.

There are also steel balls available (in different sizes (1, 2 or 3mm) which are used for polishing - you can find these for jewellery business.
Maybe you search for such small balls
617_0.jpg
f.e.

Thank you guys. I ordered 100 1.5mm brass balls from Amazon.ca. $13 Can. I've looked for bearings and such on Amazon before but missed these. I did a quick look on the web for shot blasting in town and struck out. Sandblasting but no shot blasting. My major issue was the amount of shot you had to buy. 5 or 10 lbs was just silly. My shop is already full of stuff and I don't need a bag with 4.99 lbs of shot kicking around. 100 for $13 is about perfect.

Anyone want a bag of mustard seed :)

Would you accept this or would you keep trying? I need criticism. :) It's 1:48 scale and 2" long.

Edit- here's a better picture and I can see a few problems from this angle. A few of the shot are too small. I haven't been able to get decent beads or shotgun shot so I'm trying mustard seed that I soaked in India ink.

View attachment 352079
Model expo has cannon balls in various sizes

View attachment 352079
I use lead " split" fishing weights , and glasses .....

View attachment 352079
No! The difference in ball size is annoying. I have purchased individual shotgun shells with the appropriate size shot from the gunshop. Cut the cardboard cylinder off, pour out the shot and throw the remains away. It costs a buck or two, but it eliminates a lot of headaches.

Thanks Bill. In Canada you need a firearms license to buy even one shell. I spent a half hour in the gun shop trying to get a handful of no 9 shot. The owner really tried to help me me nothing worked out. I've ordered some 1/16" brass balls from Amazon.

Ordered some brass balls from Amazon. Just about perfect size. Blackened them and glued them up. I tried to keep the shellac off them but no luck so they are a bit shiny.

DSC04728.JPG

You might want to try a modeling medium I have used for model railroad scenery, generic stuff called "Matt Medium", looks like white PVA glue, but dries clear and with no shine.

I can get small bottles form local hobby shop or model railroad stores.

Back