Ships bell

Was there a standard size for a ships bell? Looking at pictures I can guess they were about a foot tall maybe? That sound about right or does it depend on the size of the ship?

Edit- I did find, in Goodwins "English Man of War" that in 1815 the Navy standardized the size for third rate and above at 1' 6.5" dia and 15" high. This is 25 years after the Discovery and 3 ratings above it so I'm still wondering.

Last edited:
Interesting question - I have no idea

but take a look at the photos of the bell collection in the NMM - there are hundreds of original examples also given with data of sizes and period

at the end in scale 1:48 it will not make not so much differences

Thank you Uwe!!! You bailed me out again. When will I learn to check the RMG? That is a great source. For a moment I thought I may actually find a picture of Discovery's bell but no such luck. A little searching should get me what I want.

A search for "ships bell" from 1701 to 1841 produced 7 hits. They were mostly for 1st rates but they are in the 18" area (length and height). I imagine a smaller ship would have a smaller bell and I have brass in the right size for a 12" bell so maybe that's it. Thanks again Uwe

Back