Ship in a bottle

Found an old whiskey bottle in good shape thinking about trying a ship in a bottle. I am finishing up the Endurance an next up is the Essex . The bottle is a pint bottle that had a cork . Going to give it a try as a side project

Hi.
My opinion, if I'm allowed to, no matter how attractive the bottle is, firstly you should check its clearness.
Otherwise you will get pain your eyes and the result might be difficult to be seen as you would expect.
Make the old test, trying to see how much you can read from a rolled piece of paper been placed in the bottle and then make a decision.
I've been through in "ships in bottles" sometime...
Thx
Aeolos.jpg

Good for you. Most of my models have gone into bottles. No mater what anyone else says, they are easier to keep clean! The gentleman's advice about glass clarity is important. No point in making all the effort if you can't see it.

View attachment 360888
Alex, congratulations ! what a wonderful job, what a dimensions and scale of the boat ?

Alex, congratulations ! what a wonderful job, what a dimensions and scale of the boat ?
Thank you. She is the 1851 clipper Flying Cloud, 225 ft. long (69 meters) in a 5 liter lab bottle, 32' = 1" (1/384). What folks rarely ask is how long it took to build. In this case, it was 367 hours. This is one of my favorite detail pictures.

IMG_3305.JPG

Wow,that’s amazing, Thanks for sharing. I’m putting the half pint whiskey bottle on hold because it is foggy and too small . I got a larger bottle and am experimenting with the water . Can I ask what you used for the water.it looks very realistic and the ship is beautiful thanks

Thanks. I've been at it for too long, but had a few whisky half pints along the way. The contents were so good I convinced myself the glass was clearer than it really was.
I use glazing putty mixed with artist's oils, blue cut with just a little cadmium orange so it isn't too bright a blue. After mixing, I make it into a "patty" and leave it on newspapers for a day or so to let some of the excess oil soak out. Some folks like plumber's putty, but I found the oil in it heavier, and it will eventually soak into your model's sails. It also is never supposed to harden, so the bond to the glass is not as secure. Many people like plasticine, but my few experiments did not result in good color or surface texture. Perhaps with more practice I could have done better. The late Gil Charbonneau did very good work with plasticine.

Switched to a new bottle and experimenting with the jig to hold the build. I am anxious to see how I do getting it in the bottle. The water will be just a little colored silicone just to hold it in place. Have been busy fashioning tools for the insertion.

2619A89D-61E2-4D10-B05D-D8F6CF49E72A.jpeg

050F904F-CDA5-406D-8FFB-F4F4E7064FF2.jpeg

Well it fit into the bottle, I have learned so many lessons from you guys and I appreciate all your input. First lesson is l can see why it would take 300 plus hours to finish a build. I hope one day to finish a quality build like you guys have . What I love about this is that other than the price of the bottle everything was done with materials on hand. So it cost me $2.50. I am now on the lookout for a bigger bottle and possibly take my time and start a square rigger and give it the time and effort.
I have seen kits on the market and I wonder if one would help me with my skills. Has anybody built a kit?
I would love to hear your experience.
For now I am pleased and looking forward to this new hobby.
Anyway thanks for your input and I hope to see more of your work.

FF093D58-085B-4C97-B526-D6019589D782.jpeg

Back