Ship Building

I was sitting in my workshop today and was thinking about how large these ships were in real life! How they built them! its staggers the imagination!! ships 250 feet long 40 to 50 feet wide! the girth?? and they built them with no machinery!! Just Manuel labor it must have taken hundreds of humans, years to build one of these! and then to equip them with 100 cannons or more. all made from wood as I plank my ship. Can you imagine heating planks 25 feet long 6 inches thick by 16inch wide!! and bending and securing them in place is beyond my comprehension, and to build great numbers of these?? Of which most ended up at the bottom of the oceans they sailed on. its ah inspiring!!!

I was sitting in my workshop today and was thinking about how large these ships were in real life! How they built them! its staggers the imagination!! ships 250 feet long 40 to 50 feet wide! the girth?? and they built them with no machinery!! Just Manuel labor it must have taken hundreds of humans, years to build one of these! and then to equip them with 100 cannons or more. all made from wood as I plank my ship. Can you imagine heating planks 25 feet long 6 inches thick by 16inch wide!! and bending and securing them in place is beyond my comprehension, and to build great numbers of these?? Of which most ended up at the bottom of the oceans they sailed on. its ah inspiring!!!
a good information with a lot of photos of models and drawings you can get here:

or Brian Lavery "Building the Wooden Walls: Design and Construction of the 74 Gun Ship Valiant"

51G7KZXJ9NL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

a good information with a lot of photos of models and drawings you can get here:

or Brian Lavery "Building the Wooden Walls: Design and Construction of the 74 Gun Ship Valiant"

View attachment 303439
thanks I will read it

View attachment 303439

Wooden Warship Construction : A History in Ship Models - currently on special 'Book depository. free international shipping. Just ordered it. Thank you Uwek :)

To me its a tragedy that such astonishing craftsmanship could be blasted by canon fire, and likely sunk, in real life
long ago. I agree with the feats of engineering being described in the forum, and how every problem was solved by
amazing ingenuity. Model building has brought a lot of appreciation of earlier ship building to my attention.

That guy Manuel Labour was brilliant!:D

Back