Santisma Trinidad

Would anyone know IF the Santisma Trinidad had plating on it's hull. If yes where was it placed on this ship eg water line down or just above water line? I have seen on here that is some builders added copper plates to their ships

Would anyone know IF the Santisma Trinidad had plating on it's hull. If yes where was it placed on this ship eg water line down or just above water line? I have seen on here that is some builders added copper plates to their ships

She was launched in 1769 but was until 1778 not really in use, because of several problems in her construction
Screenshot 2022-09-30 100045.png

she was coppered in 1781 and 1782
Screenshot 2022-09-30 100021.png

So it depends in which period you want to show your model

During Trafalgar she was coppered

I have no document by hand confirming my words now..... I guess the coppering was ending slightly higher than the water line.
I guess somebody from us knows this more exact

Hi Dale. Probably it would have copper plates. The ships of the line, frigates etc covered the hull with copper plates to prevent molluscs from accumulating and favor navigation. I imagine that the plates would go somewhat above the waterline. Throughout his life the Santisima underwent several modifications since it was born badly.
No one knows for sure what exactly this ship was like. I am building the OcCre kit and I am looking at models exhibited in museums and the works of good modellers based on the plans in the Museo Naval de Madrid.
Personally, I am going to paint the hull white, because that is how my son wants it. Whatever you do, It will be fine.

Cheers ;)

Last edited:
Dale, I'm agree with Uwek, during Trafalgar she was coppered. In visits i made to the "Real Museo de Marinha "in Madrid , I could sea that the plate was made with a row above the waterline, in all Spanish Line Ships on the time ( 1800 ).

Hallo @Dale Kearns
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back